Chapter 4 Sunny Road

-]|[-

(Present time)

"Why does this place have to be so hot?" On the peaks of Mount Molteau, James wiped some sweat off his forehead and slid down on the ground with a tired groan. Having hauled large machines all day long on his back, he was positive he could sleep for three days at least. If I ever get the chance to get away from this place anyway. He closed his eyes tiredly.

"That's because this is an active volcano. You alright?" He opened an eye and found Jessie leaning over him with an anxious frown. She had tied her beautiful red hair that day. James disliked that look on her. It reminded him too much of his fiancé. He shuddered at that image. Jessie is nothing like her, he thought to himself. That's why I...

"Hey," Jessie poked his cheek with an annoyed glare. "Are you alright?"

"I am tired," He shifted to a side and exhaled. "What about you? Are you alright?" She had dark bags under her eyes. He disliked that look on her too.

Jessie sighed quietly and sat down. After a moment of indecision, she grabbed his head and placed it on her lap. She peered at his surprised face for a long time before answering hesitantly. "I am having trouble sleeping. Ever since-" She cut off and glanced around whem she heard something.

For a moment, there was silence, but then a few people dressed in red suits passed by. None of them looked towards them. "There have been sightings here," Someone was saying. "Recorded sightings. I am sure we can figure out the pattern if we can get access to their data." Jessie remained silent and tried to not look interested in their discussion. "Plus, the evidence is unmistakable. It will ensure we can get approval to investigate further. We have already moved the feathers to the facilities. Do you think you can manage to get -?"

With strained ears, she tried to listen further, but the things they were saying made little sense to her. She breathed in relief when she couldn't hear their footsteps. After taking a heavy breath to soothe herself, she stared at his worried face and sighed.

"I don't like these people," She murmured quietly. "They scare me." She tried to suppress a shiver but failed miserably.

"I know," James acknowledged in a strained tone. "They terrify me too. If it was possible, I would have run away from this mess a lot sooner."

Jessie looked away with a grimace. We should have never taken this stupid mission. She thought heatedly. Meowth's gone too. Damn it. And we do not know where he is.

He looked at her in silence, choosing to gather his thoughts instead. "Any message from the boss?" He tried not to sound hopeful. There was only one way to get out without having to worry about retaliation from these people. Jessie shook her head silently.

This wasn't right. This whole situation felt wrong to him. They were a trio. Him, Jessie and Meowth... They were a team. They should have stayed together. Not like this. He closed his eyes in anguish. Things were not supposed to be like this. He missed Meowth.

"Do you think the Twerp's alright?" Jessie rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand. "He was hurt, you know."

"I know," He whispered painfully.

"So badly," She wiped her tears angrily. "There was blood, James. So much blood. Oh, James..." She hiccupped. "What if... what if he's still out there?" She sniffed. "Where we left him?"

He remained silent.

"I dream of him, you know," She said as she wiped her cheeks. "All I see is his eyes... staring at me... And I can't bear to look at him... I can't- his eyes." She hiccupped again. "Do you think he would hate us? Hate me?"