3. The Perfect Spot

Hey Guys! I hope you all are doing well. The song in todays update is called Into the West by Annie Lennox and Howard Shore. I figured that it fit perfectly with this part of the story because it is a lullaby about passing on. It has a really special place in my heart because my dad used to sing it to me in order for me to fall asleep. If you want to listen to it while you are reading the lyrics, here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoVaK2NXmJA :) Thanks for reading!

Alex's POV:

Willie and I poofed right in the middle of a park, still holding hands. I remembered passing it a few times on my way to band practice in the 90's, but I never really payed attention to it. All I remember about it is that it was very chaotic and crowded (which doesn't really matter now, 'cause I'm a ghost.) It was silent and empty now though. The only noises I heard were the creaking of the swing set and Willie breathing in and out in little puffs. It was so peaceful. Suddenly, Willie let go of my hand and plopped down right in the grass beneath us. I was about to ask why he let go of my hand but then Willie spoke.

"Sit," he said, smiling shyly.

I sat down on the grass next to him and scooted close to him. He took my hand and laid back on the cool, damp grass. I followed his lead and carefully placed my head right next to his. We laid there hand in hand in silence for a while, gazing at the stars. I mean, at least Willie was looking at them. I was looking at him.

My star.

I love the look on his face when he is thinking. It is vacant, but very cute. I forgot I was staring at him and when Willie noticed, I tried to play it cool by slowly turning my head around to the other side. I felt Willie squeeze my hand playfully, signaling me to look at him. I turned my head back around and saw him smirking. Oh God. He noticed me for sure.

"Whatcha lookin' at hotdog?" Willie said, grinning knowingly.

"We-ell... I-" I started.

Boom. Second time Willie had kissed me that night. It was more quick and playful, but it gave me butterflies none the less.

"I brought us here because it was where I used to go when I needed some time alone when I was alive. It's funny, because instead of coming here alone like I used to, I'm here with you," I said shyly.

He nestled in close to me and could probably hear how fast my heart was beating. Willie will never not give me butterflies. I saw a stray hair that was in Willie's face and I gently brushed it out of the way to kiss his forehead. 

I contemplated going to Julie's to get us a blanket. But then I remembered that ghosts can't get cold. And plus, I didn't want to ruin the moment. I looked down at Willie and grinned to myself knowing that I was so lucky that I had been run over by his skateboard. Ok. That sounded wrong, but whatever. I pulled Willie in close to me and he started to stir.

"Everything ok?" I whispered.

"I can't sleep," Willie muttered.

Oh. Well, I never intended that we were going to sleep here, but I'm ok with it. More than ok with it.

(*screams internally*)

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

Willie's POV:

Although I was wrapped in Alex's arms, enjoying his love and warmth, I still couldn't seem to fall asleep. Those darn butterflies in my stomach were keeping me awake.

"When I can't sleep I count backwards from 100 by 3's," he explained trying to help me.

"My mom used to sing me to sleep," I murmured.

I was hoping Alex got the hint.

"Do you want me to sing you to sleep?" Alex whispered.

"Give it your best shot," I said, looking up at him.

Yes! He got it!

"Alright," he said.

Lay down

Your sweet and weary head

The night is falling
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?

What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms

At these words, I felt Alex pull me close.

You're only sleeping What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn

To silver glass
A light on the water
All Souls pass...

Hope fades
Into the world of night
Through shadows falling
Out of memory and time
Don't say
We have come now to the end
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again
And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping 

What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises

The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn to silver glass

A light on the water
Grey ships pass
Into the West

By the end of the song, I felt perfectly at ease. Alex's voice was so soothing and as he cradled me I felt all of my fears pass away. Safe in his arms.

"Goodnight, hotdog," I whispered.

"Goodnight, Willie," Alex whispered back. 

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

Hey Guys! Sorry this one was shorter. I won't be able to update at all next week because I have final exams (ugh.) Anyway, I hope you guys have a great rest of your day! :)

- molls :)