7: Sounds Of Someday

Chapter 7: Sounds Of Someday

After Betty left Jughead began watching TV that was until Alice came home from work and found him on the couch with a laptop propped on a pillow underneath. Alice came home with grocery bags around her wrists and in the other hand Pop's. She set the bags down on the table and glanced over the coffee table where she found work that said Jughead's assignments on the top with a sticky note with a deadline.

"Jughead, what is this?" She asked casually as she picked up the binder on the table.

Jughead briefly looked away from the TV screen and said. "Oh, Betty brought them over for me. They're my school assignments and PowerPoint that I got an extension for."

Alice hummed." Hmm. That's nice of her." She would have to make a mental note for later to thank Betty. She knew her daughter had a soft spot for Jughead and would do anything for him. It still blew her away that Jughead and Betty got back together without Betty telling her. No. She had to fight about due to Jughead's car accident. "I'll have to thank her personally."

When Jughead didn't move. Alice tapped on his shoulder." What?"

"And don't you think you should be doing your school work?"

Jughead sighed. "I-I guess." He got off the couch, grabbing the remote and turned off the TV. "I'll be in my room doing my homework."

Alice smiled proudly and said." Good job, Jug. I'll call you down when Dinner is ready. I got you Pop's special burger. And maybe when you get all your work done I'll talk to FP about renting a movie for after dinner."

Jughead dashed toward the stairs. Alice watched him take off upstairs and then chuckled quietly to herself. She remembered the time during their junior year or senior year when they were all living together. Jughead didn't want to clean the room that Him and Betty shared. So she made him a deal. She told him if he cleaned the room she'd get him Pop's or whatever he wanted for dinner if he did what she told. He ran upstairs so fast he nearly knocked her down.

She headed into the kitchen, taking the bags with her and set them down on the table. After unloading the items into the fridge, Alice pulled out Jughead's burger and put it on a plate. FP was due to come home from work in twenty minutes and she knew he'd be hungry.

She picked up her cellphone and began to dial Betty's number into the keypad. She waited until she heard Betty's voice and smiled at her phone.

"Hi!"

Betty said." Hi, Mom! I just got back to my hotel room. Has Jughead started his work yet?"

Alice laughed. "He didn't until I bribed him with dinner. Just like the good old days." Betty's laughter could be heard on the other line.

"So' nothing has changed since we were teenagers huh."

"Nope still the same old Jughead Jones."

Silence hit the other side as the word caused an after wave. Once Alice realized her mistake she quickly backtracked. How stupid could she be? Of course Betty was going to be upset by the mention. Jughead wasn't the same as then. He didn't even remember much. He told her day by day his dreams were easing up on him. She guessed his therapy has really helped. It took some convincing but he finally went. The other day Veronica stopped by and she hadn't heard about Jughead's memory issue until the day she ran into him at Pop's Shopee. The Lodge woman was crushed to find out that Jughead had lost his memory. She offered to pay for his physical therapy out of the kind of her heart.

"Oh, Betty, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, mom. You didn't mean anything by it."

After they talked for an hour it was about time for dinner. FP walked in the door a few moments later and greeted her with a loving kiss on her lips.