Chapter One: From the Ground Up

"Mentor talk."

Everyone knew what that meant.

The voice was firm, tight, and without exception. It was an order of the highest degree with no joke or playful irony behind it. Master Wu saved this tone for the times he needed it.

Cole winced, and he tried not to look at Lloyd's weird grin or how he mouthed the words "You're in trouble." As far as he was concerned it was as mocking as it always was in his cheeky little impish way. Little did he know there was some sincerity behind it, however— some sympathy. It would be some time before any of the ninja would understand the sympathy of Lloyd, but right now this was between Cole and the old ninja master.

Slowly, he turned around and looked up at Master Wu, and he knew by the expression on his face that he would not accept dawdling.

With a sigh, Cole tried to hide his eyes from rolling. He followed Wu with a frown. He pretended not to hear Jay whispering something to Kai or to see the slight winces of Zane and Nya. He simply followed darkly until they passed behind a sliding, screen door in their airship/sailing ship that they had to use ever since Lloyd blew up the real dojo when he thought he could be Garmadon Junior.

That really was not that long ago either. Even though Lloyd had faced the evil of his father and changed sides for good, Cole was not the only ninja under Wu who had trouble forgetting all the wrong the little scamp had done and seemingly gotten away with. His attitude was still a little impish either way anyway.

"Lloyd better not start spying on us..." murmured Cole under his breath; he crossed his arms as he glanced at the thin door Wu quietly slid shut.

"If he does," muttered Wu stomping his stick into the wood floor matter-of-factly with a tone in about the same as Cole's, "it doesn't matter."

Cole made a face.

"Leave the disciplining to me," said Wu passing him into the room. "Now that Lloyd is to be trained one hundred percent under me as a ninja, he will get all the discipline of a ninja-in-training just like you want. From me. At my pace that I know is best for him. Not from you like you were doing just now. I'll teach him some manners like I taught you some manners. You weren't exactly much more than a little brat yourself when you first came here."

"Sorry, sensei."

Wu looked at Cole a moment, and then softened his tone as he said, "Cole, I know why you're troubled. You're the first one to ever come, and you have worked hard to earn your keep. You're jealous of your spot here with me..."

A shiver went through Cole and his eyes widened. "Sensei, it's not—"

"Like everyone, you thought you were the Green Ninja!" Wu retorted. "I know. I heard you guys talk about it like every single day after I brought it up that one of you might be the Green Ninja when I thought you were mature enough to handle it, and you made me wish I hadn't."

Again Cole sighed.

"Remember, concern yourself about yourself. Self-discipline means not just listening to me discipline you. Here, maybe some tea will help," said Wu having Cole sit on a cushion before the square, irori-style hearth. Soft sand kept the small wood fire in the center from escaping its designated spot.

With care, Wu took the teapot from the hook beneath the fish-shaped carving just above the little fire. He poured a cup and handed it to Cole.

The sound of seawater lapping outside filled in the silence. It made Cole wonder why everyone outside the room was so quiet too, but he did here them talking in hushed voices.