8 | COUNTDOWN?

it was time , they are both dying to know but dreading. if their plan worked out , why are they still there?

catherine's house

there was a generally noticeable tension in the air and no one wanted to talk about it. what a sight it was. merel , niels and anthony on the slightly torn dark blue leather couch. anthony is picking at his fingernails , both anxious for his friends and anxious for his turn to come.

niels was in the exact same state. and merel's feelings could go one of two ways : either she starts balling her eyes out or she's ready to kill the guy that's doing this to them. now back to the other side of this story.

countdown

casper , quinn and catherine are about to  get to the window pane. they turn the corner as it's only five second away.

5

4

3

2

and he's there...

evan is there looking out the window , his crutches next to him and his leg in a cast. and next to him , is a broken phone. it's not his , is it?

"evan? what are you doing here you know you're not allowed to be here." quinn says in a surprised tone.
"wait , evan. can you stay here."

" is courtney okay ?" casper asked. as soon as he spoke her name a sad expression falls over evan's face. 'she's gone , but how?'

"she's not , i was going over to her house this morning when i heard the news. they found her dead in the bath tub. they say it's unexplainable. i don't know what to do , she was my everything." he starts crying , they all feel sympathy for him. catherine sits next to him and hands him a tissue , he's fully balling his eyes out now.

" evan ." catherine starts
"yeah?" he blows his nose in the tissue
"evan , did you download countdown?"

"i-i-i didn't" he continues sobbing.
everyone but quinn sighs heavily , thank God. "thank God. evan , we're going to wait with you in the hospital for the remainder of your stay. i think that's best." casper says , catherine nodding in agreement.

" quinn? we have to tell you something." catherine says. "oh , yeah? what's wrong? and who are you?" she asks.
"well , we're not really from here." catherine says , casper continues " yeah , exactly. we are from a different universe and we're sent to save you and your sister , evan and well courtney."

"this app kills you , sooner than you normally would die and we were sent to prevent that.and though you've probably never even heard off this app before , please do not download countdown." casper said , huffing about the lack of breaks he took to finish that scentence-paragraph.

"wow , so you're saying there's an app that can kill you? isn't that a little far fetched." quinn asks. while casper and quinn are holding this conversation evan has got to using catherine's armsleeve as a tissue. she pats his head in acknowledgment. "yeah , that's what i thiught but trust me in the universe we live in we saw this all in a movie-."

"a movie? you're kidding right , there's no way that i am in a movie." without knowing quinn turns to the exact view that merel , anthony and niels have and speaks up again "hello?"

she turns back to casper with a - duh - look on her face. "how do you explain that huh? no one sees me right? right?" casper is surprised by her reaction to say the least , catherine and merel had a way easier time explaining this. well the other two situations were either people their age or in dire need of help.