Chapter 2: Preparation for War

Word spread quickly about the Land of Warrior's arrival; within the next two days, the entire continent had practically heard it one-hundred times over!—and, well some feared it, others picked up their swords in glory; they saw an opportunity to solidify themselves as legends forever. One such case was the tragic downfall of the Ustia Kingdom. A glorious and proud nation, they had been causing trouble on the continent for almost 200 years, responsible for hundreds of small skirmishes across the land.

But, for all their big talk, they couldn't walk the walk. For comparison, a barking chihuahua would be scarier than their small army of only 5,000 infantry, 420 magicians, and 4,000 cavalry units. The ruler of this country (King Wilkie) had been a wartime hero: or, so he says—truth be told, he hadn't seen a single day on the battlefield, but that didn't stop him from boasting.

***

King Wilkie stood around a large, wooden table that sunk into the wet, muddy dirt; around them flapped the flimsy fabric they called a tent. The kingdom had three bases outside their borders, of which, two were only 30 miles away from the Land of Warriors. His general, who wore a full set of iron armour and had a gigantic, scratchy beard, looked directly at Wilkie and said:—

"My King, you must reconsider this..." the king scratched his puffy, brown hair and said:—
"Nonsense! This my chance to bring glory and honour to our nation!—for far too long, we've been nothing more than a joke to the world. I want to change that. The citizens believe my made-up stories of bravery—and yet, we've never once won a war."

"But—"

"General, think of it like this: me, being known as the man who conquered the prophesied Land of Warriors... I would go down in history as one of the greatest men ever!"

The general sighed, saying: "I respect you, Your Majesty, but this is suicide; but, if that is your desire, then let's continue." He pressed his long, pale finger on the big map spread out across the table. "If we move straight forward, we could easily swamp their border; it's risky, but it could work."

"Then, we shall head out tomorrow night!" he said.