Chapter 5: The President Gets Invited To Dinner

The United States of America: the third biggest country on earth by land. Spanning two oceans, they had solidified themselves as an economic powerhouse, and military might. One day, however, things went downhill for them: the entire mainland had been whisked away to another world in a flash! Alaska and Hawaii had been left behind, forced to figure things out for themselves. Within the short time they had been frankensteined onto this strange land, the economy took a tremendous toll, with stocks plummeting faster than ever, and thousands losing their money to oversee banks.

Imported goods from China (such as metals, plastics, and pharmaceuticals) could no longer be relied on; instead, everything had to be done domestically. Large corporations took a blow as well: McDonald's, Walmart, JC Morgan Chase... they each had international departments they could no longer contact—not to mention the mass panic that swept across the nation. Within three days, every bank had lost half of their customers!—and department stores lost most of their inventory within hours. To prevent any 'accidents' from happening, the United States went full isolationist, closing their borders and all travel; after, they sent out a plane to scout out the region; but, once the pilot had seen the invading army, he chose to go against the orders of his commanders, launching the bombs compacted within his planes underbelly, and shot every last survivor insight. Afterwards, he got a dishonourable discharge and life in prison.

***

The incumbent President of the United States—a short, old-fashioned businessman named Alfred Brown—had been elected under the Republican ticket only a year prior; being the oldest president in US history at the age of 80, many were skeptical that he'd be fit for the job; nevertheless, his approval rating was still decently high (around sixty percent); but—after the country had been transported to another world, it dropped to a staggering forty percent! His chances of re-election were dropping by the minute.

Alfred sat uncomfortably in the Oval Office, wearing a tailored navy blue suit and red tie. Pondering his mind in deep meditation, the distant sound of a knock filled his ears: it was the Vice President, who wore a loose-fitted black suit and black tie; with a tablet in hand, he staggered in and plopped his skinny body onto the fluffy white coach.

"How's it going, Mr. President?" he asked with a wink.

"Not good," said Alfred; "to be honest... I should just resign: words can not describe the stress I'm in; the public hates me... at this point, I'll have a lower approval rating than Dick Chaney!" The Vice President raised one eyebrow, saying:—

"Brown, you're doing all you can!—it's not your fault we're in this predicament. The economy was doing so well under your leadership, and nobody can take that away from you."

Alfred pressed his old, wrinkled fingers on his temples; "why are you even here?" he asked. The Vice President got up from the couch and walked over to the president. He held his tablet flat in hand, and, opening his email, placed the metallic device on the President's desk.

He said, "We received a fax from a man claiming to be the ruler of a nearby country—and he wants you to come over for a state dinner... what do you think we should do, sir?" Alfred's eyes perked up; an idea struck his head, forcing a cheery smile upon his face. He said:—

"God bless this day, I tell you!... to think, after everything that's happened, we might get this country back on track; and, most importantly, we might figure out where the hell we are!"

The Vice President said: "That's fine sir, but what should we say to him?" The President jumped out of his chair and curved his thin hands around the Vice President's face.

"Tell him," he said, "that we'd be glad to join him for dinner!—and don't fuck it up, because this may be our only connection." The Vice President slightly nodded his head with a stiff expression. That's the first time I've ever seen Brown swear in the fifty years we've known each other... he thought.

***

Back in the tower, the grand wizards stood silently, each with their eyes closed; their hands pressed together hard and tight, praying for the survival of the empire. But, just as they got on their knees, the fire sunk inward.

Boom! With a mountain of sparks, the fire shot out like a volcano, smoke, and dust filling the room. After it cleared, the wizards were astonished to see a paper fall from the ceiling. With a swift grab—Ezax caught the paper midair; clearing his throat (somewhat obnoxiously) he read the finely printed letters:—

"Dear William II,

The President and I would be delighted to join you for dinner;

I'm quite humbled by your offer and look forward to seeing you.

Please, prepare the carriage for use on the 27th: we'll be ready by then.

Signed, Vice President James Lindon."