Chapter 1

***Disclaimer****

This is what I imagine my characters look like and this is all fiction. I do not own the images used in the story and they are solely used as visual aids to help visualize the characters.

Christmas Blues

Chapter 1

Like every other night in the past few months, Isabella was up on stage singing her heart out to an audience that couldn't care less about her or her challenges

Like every other night in the past few months, Isabella was up on stage singing her heart out to an audience that couldn't care less about her or her challenges. It was not like she could not sing or command a room, it was actually the opposite. She had inherited her angelic soprano voice and her beauty from her mother, and her magic fingers that could play many instruments from her father.

She had been singing at the Roxwell for almost six years now and business had never been this bad; just a few years back, all the seats at the venue were sold out, and there would be a line that went around the corner of people queuing to get in, but now the bar was barely hitting ten percent of its capacity.

Isabella finished her set and walked off the stage feeling dejected, if things continued like this, she would be out of the job soon and would spend the few months up to Christmas looking for another gig or waiting tables.

Isabella sighed, at the age of twenty seven you would think one would have their life all planned out, but it was never that easy for her. She was currently paying off the one hundred thousand dollar loan that her father had taken out in her name to pay off his gambling debts, and her name had been black listed from every financial institution in the city which more or less invalidated her college degree in finance.

For the last few years, she had been using more than half of her minimal pay check to pay off the monthly repayment plan of the loan desperately wishing that the man that had put her in the mess was still alive to fix it.

"Tough crowd." Mr Brian Roxwell the owner of the club shrugged as Isabella walked behind the stage, "Don't mind them darling, you were amazing as usual up there." The bald man in his late sixties encouraged

"Thank you Mr Roxwell." Isabella responded with a sweet smile. Mr Roxwell had offered her a job at the Roxwell when she interviewed as a waitress years back, and after the old man heard her sing, he had insisted on putting her up on stage.

"Isabella, after you are done changing, would you mind dropping by my office?" The old man politely asked.

"Is everything okay?" Isabella worriedly replied, but the old man gave a pitiful smile and walked off.

Isabella could immediately tell she was losing her job that night, yet at the back of her mind she hoped it wasn't the case and prayed that Mr Roxwell could still afford to keep her for the cold winter months that lay ahead.

When she arrived at the changing room, she saw one waitress crying while the second waitress tried to console her, "We'll find something very quickly." The waitress that was consoling her friend said, "What if we don't?! I am going to get kicked out of my already shitty apartment." The waitress that was crying answered back.