Is having a Guru necessary?

Paramhansa Yogananda (1893-1952) was an Indian Yogi and Guru who introduced millions of westerners to the teachings of meditation and Kriya Yoga through his book "Autobiography of a Yogi."

Paramhansa Yogananda's enlightenment experience happened when he was young, by the grace of his Guru, Yukteshwar Giri.

It was only six months since Yogananda started living with his Guru in the hermitage. Young Yogananda felt a growing frustration with hermitage duties and college studies. He desperately wanted to experience uninterrupted divine communion.

Hence Yogananda decided to leave the hermitage, seeking solitude in the Himalayas. He asked his Guru for the consent.

Yukteshwar Giri said, "Many hillmen live in the Himalayas, yet possess no Bhagwaan-perception. Wisdom is better sought from a man of realisation than from an inert Mountain."

Ignoring his Guru's plain hint, Yogananda repeated his request. The Guru didn't utter any word but Yogananda took his silence for consent and left the hermitage next morning.

After several experiences (which have been explained in detail in his book), Yogananda's search for the Truth ended; Not in the Himalayas but in the presence of his Master, Yukteshwar Giri.

This chapter is about Pramahansa Yogananda's enlightenment experience (An experience in Cosmic consciousness, as he says it) in exact words that he wrote in his book- Autobiography of a Yogi.

Let's read the conversation between Yogananda and his Guru after he returned to the hermitage:

"I am here, Guruji." My shamefacedness spoke more eloquently for me.

"Let us go to the kitchen and find something to eat." Shri Yukteshwar's manner was as natural as if hours and not days had separated us.

"Guruji, I must have disappointed you by my abrupt departure from my duties here. I thought you might be angry with me."

"No, of course not. Wrath springs only from thwarted desires. I do not expect anything from others, so their actions can not be in opposition to the wishes of mine. I would never use you for my own ends. I am happy only in your own true happines." Guruji replied.

"Guruji, one hears of divine love in a vague way, but for the first time I am having a concrete example of your angelic self! In this world, even a father does not easily forgive a son if he leaves his parents without consent. But you show not even slightest vexation, though you must have been put in great inconvenience by the many unfinished tasks I have left behind."

We looked into each other's eyes, where tears were shining. A blissful wave engulfed me, I became conscious that Bhagwaan, in the form of my Guru, was expanding the small ardours of my heart into incompressible reaches of cosmic love.

A few mornings later, I made my way into Guruji's empty sitting room. I planned to meditate but my laudable purpose was unshared by disobedient thoughts. They scattered like birds before the hunter.

"Mukunda!" Guruji's voice sounded from a distant inner balcony.

I felt as rebellious as my thoughts. "Guruji always urges me to meditate," I muttered to myself, "He should not disturb me when he knows why I came to his room."

He summoned me again. I remained obstinately silent. The third time, his tone held rebuke.

"Guruji, I am meditating!" I shouted protestingly.