Prologue

"Kelarie!!"

His harsh tone resonated through the room.

"Yes. . .father," I hesitated. I didn't want to piss him off even more.

He had his back to me as he stared out the window. It was an habit he had, staring out the window even when the sun was high up in the sky. He had on his usual clothing. A silk shirt, a surcoat that matched his dark pants and brown boots. His hands were folded behind his back.

His intimidating pose.

He used it to scold students at the Village school and I wasn't an exception. Life was even harder for me since he was my guardian.

He turned to face me. He was a tall man. It helped him look even more intimidating. Signs of aging had long taken over his pale face and he already had some graying hair.

The armchairs before us were the only things keeping us apart.

"What did I tell you about fighting?" He began harshly.

He knows.

"But Father, she started it. I was just—"

"What! Did I tell you about fighting?" He cut in, in an even harsher tone.

I pressed my teeth together in anger and looked away. Then my eyes fell to my dress. My ruined dress thanks to Kentra. She was the reason I was in this mess in the first place.

I have to fix this. Time to play your last card Kelarie.

"I'm—," I paused. It was hard apologizing when I knew I wasn't wrong. Kentra didn't just insult me, she insulted my mother. She crossed every possible line.

Just say the word Kelarie.

"I'm sorry, Father," I managed to say in a low tone.

He stared at me for seconds. Long tension filled seconds, then finally looked away.

"I have overlooked every mistakes you made only because of the favor your mother did me," he began.

There he goes again.

He never missed a chance to remind me I wasn't his daughter and that he was doing me a huge favor keeping me in his house.

"I have forgiven you for every wrong turn you made yet what have you done in return?" He paused to glare at me, "nothing but more trouble you incompetent child!"

I gasped.

Why can't you for once in your life try to understand me?

"Father. . .y-you don't even try to—"

"Enough! I don't what to hear anything from you. I'm fed up with all your rebelliousness!" He snapped.

I gasped again.

Rebelliousness?

"I'm forgiving you this last time Kelarie. But! One more wrong move. . .one more . . .and I'm relieving myself of your responsibility. I'm letting you go!"

This time I gasped even louder in disbelief. My breath started coming in short and tears blurred my eyesight.

He can't do this to me. He can't throw me out. Where will I go? He can't!

Once he was sure that his words had registered into my head, he turned and left the room. Suddenly the room became too hot for me. So I ran out the wooden house.

As I ran, the tears flowed freely down my cheeks. I passed other houses as well as trees, I knew where I was headed. I found peace there.

Bump!