And That's The Thing About Illicit Affairs And Clandestine Meetings...

It was a few days after the events at the hospital

It was a few days after the events at the hospital. Elizabeth had avoided Alex successfully for the first few days, not today. Elizabeth felt his eyes on her. She always did. This time, she didn't look up, though. She knew that she would break if she looked up. They were on a picnic, all of them: Grace, Alex, Elizabeth, and Tommy. She had invited Tommy without even asking Grace or Alex because she felt so horrible for leaving him at the dance. Now, she's glad she did, because Tommy seemed to be the only person talking to her.

"You're sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, just have a lot on my mind. When do you ship out?" Tommy smiled at her as she glanced up from her sketchbook.

"In two weeks. Headed to France with Alex actually. Didn't he tell you?" She frowned. "Are you and Alex okay?"

"We said things to each other that we didn't mean and we're both too stubborn to apologize for it. Don't worry, we'll get over it. We always seem to."

"You must be close then, if this is an often occurrence."

"I mean, he's Grace's fiance, we have to behave at least civilly"

"Come walk with me, Lizzie!" Grace grabbed at Elizabeth's hand, pulling her away from Tommy and Alex, and down towards the canal.

~~

"You know, Grace may be thick, but any man who glaces at Elizabeth gets your death stare. Also, the way you look at Elizabeth is the way any man looks longingly after a woman that they want." Alex looked up from the grass he was picking at, seeing Tommy looking at him.

"Elizabeth is Grace's friend, I'm just looking after her. Besides, her boyfriend isn't here to defend her, someone has to." Alex shrugged.

"And the way you jumped away from Grace and ran after Lizzie a few nights ago was just friendly? The way you threatened me because you thought I hurt her? That's just looking after her?"

"I don't know who the fuck you think you are, but no one's going to believe you if you bring that up. I love Grace, don't try to ruin it for me just because you can't get what you want."

"You're not denying it anymore. I never said anything about telling someone either, I wouldn't do that to Lizzie, but you seem torn between two women and one has a man who's bravely fighting in France while the other man lounges on a picnic blanket, waiting to be shipped off to a beach."

"You're going to the same beach."

"I'm not trying to win over a taken woman. I don't give a fuck where I'm going." Alex was about to lunge at Tommy, but the two women were coming back.

Alex stood up, grabbing Elizabeth's sketchbook, writing something down quickly, before walking up to Grace, kissing her lips.

"I'm going to meet William at the bar, I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" Grace smiled, nodding. "Make sure Tommy walks you both home, okay?"

"Yes, Sir." Elizabeth just stood to the side, ignoring Alex, as Grace giggled as she went up on her tip toes, kissing Alex.

"Betty, make sure Tommy walks you home. Everyone knows if they touch Grace, they have me to answer to, but you've got no one in Dover to scare the men."

"Yes, alright, we will. I love you, I'll see you tomorrow," Grace said before Elizabeth could open her mouth, but Alex stayed looking at Elizabeth before she gently looking up at Alex. That's all Alex could ask for.

Elizabeth went back to the blanket, where Tommy was, grabbing her sketchbook, smiling at the soldier.

"So, how was Alex's behavior? Apparently he's been in a right mood for a few days." Tommy scoffed.

"He wrote something for you. Just read it before Grace asks what it says." Elizabeth's stomach dropped. He knew.

"Tommy-"

"I won't say a word. Just, be careful."

"It's over. I ended it a few days ago. I will tell Grace, I just don't know how."

"Read it quickly." Elizabeth opened her sketchbook, turning to the one sketch she wouldn't show anyone but Alex, seeing Alex's note:

The Docks. 8pm. Please. X

Elizabeth hated how she knew that she would go, even if he didn't say please.  

~~

A/N 

The title was too long, so it's now abbreviated