Don't Call Me Kid Don't Call Me Baby Look At This Idiotic Fool That You Made Me

Elizabeth sighed, sitting down at her desk to write a letter to Alex

Elizabeth sighed, sitting down at her desk to write a letter to Alex. She had held off on the letter because she was scared of what she would say. She didn't want Alex to get any ideas from her letter, but she didn't know if she could handle writing to Alex. His letter had made her cry, knowing damn well that was what he intended. She also knew that Grace was in the room next to her and she could come in any second, asking to read the letters.

Alex,

Grace and I have been reading about France in the papers. It seems that it's bad. Churchill has gone to his bunker and there has not been a word from him, but I believe that he is attempting to speak with our allies and figure out a way to get all of you home, safely. We've read the Germans have stopped advancing, but now they are sending airplanes to pick all of you off. Please stay safe, Alex. Grace barely can handle the thought that you're there like a sitting duck. She said 'At least Tommy can go into a building.' Will you please calm her down saying that you are staying safe. I don't think my words are doing her any good. I tried to explain to her that you were safe on the beach, that they were sending ships, but she's still so worried. Promise that you'll stay safe.

I've become a mess all because of you. My thoughts are scattered. One second I'm thinking of Damien and going back to Ireland, living on the farm and the next I'm thinking of the possibility of never seeing you again because you were shot while on the beaches of France. You've made me a godforsaken mess, Alex, and I'm furious that you left when you did. I'm also so angry that you told Grace about the affair by a letter, that I may just come over in a boat to strangle you myself. She deserves better than you, Alex. That girl is so in love with you, you're lucky she is the way she is. She can't stand the thought of ever leaving you, even after everything you put her through. Write to her, tell her you're safe.

My name is Elizabeth, Lizzie, or Betty. Your last letter, the one where you called me that ridiculous pet name, was uncalled for. I'm not your baby, Grace is. Don't call me baby. Do not even think about me in that manner, Alex. I'm your friend, nothing more and nothing less. If you believe that I will come running back to you because I won't. I love Damien, we've been through this. I plan on marrying him. Don't write again unless you're being rational. Your last letter was completely ridiculous.

I don't know why you haven't written any of us back yet, I hope it's because you've just been busy, but keeping safe. Grace is thinking the worst, but she hasn't gotten a telegraph or a visit from the army, neither has your family, so I know you're still alive. Just, write to us. Any one of us, please. We're worried, Alex.

Tommy has written. He said that he's in the town. I hope that you two are together now, since you're all being evacuated. I know that you two are in different regiments, but Alex, he's my friend, he's yours too. Please, watch after him. He looked terrified when he was getting on the train, almost like he had no hope of leaving France at all. Make sure he's alive, at least. Write when you can.

Yours,

Elizabeth

She closed the letter, sealing it in an envelope. She was harsh, she knew it, but Alex didn't understand with soft words apparently. As she heard Grace move around in the next room, she was so thankful that she was a fast writer and Grace hated the idea of writing for more than a minute at a time.

"Are we sending them tomorrow morning?" Grace's head poked around the doorway.

"I say we should. The post office is closed at this time, we'll go first thing tomorrow, alright?"

"Sounds perfect to me. Let's eat, I'm starving."