Chapter Two: Meeting an idol

"Wow.. I can't believe we're finally here! It's so much prettier than I thought." I said while I looked around the dock, and saw the wooden houses in the streets that hanged small blue lanterns around. Snow covering the roofs and further ahead was a wall with a White Lotus symbol.
"(Y/N), it's almost the same as our place back home, it's just a bit more.. fancier?"

I huffed at my dad's comment and rolled my eyes. He didn't know what he was talking about, this place has a history. Well, everywhere there's history, but this is where her idols were born and began their adventure. I walked deeper in the town until I reached a much calmer and quieter area, in front of me was a fountain with a statue of the Master Waterbender, Katara. Her idol..

"I hope I can meet Katara.. at least just to say hi.."

"I'm sure you will, dear."

I slightly jumped, surprise at the voice and walked back, holding Momo tightly who was wrapped in a blanket and a small sweater I made her. Then, I saw an elderly women holding a small bag and gently smiled at me. She looked around 60-70 ish years, but what caught my attention was the hair loopies on her hair. I gasped and bowed immediately.

"I-I'm so sorry for that, M-Master Katara! You just.. st-startled me!" I heard her gently chuckled at that.

"Please dear, just call me Katara, and it was my fault for scaring you. I just came her to check on everyone, you guys must be tired from traveling at sea."

I smiled and nodded, then remembered about the passing of her husband but decided to not mention it now, I didn't want to ruin my chance with my idol by mentioning something that probably broke her down..
"My name is (Y/N), b-by the way. I'm from the Northen Water Tribe."
"I know very well from where you are, dear. Would you like to go drink some tea? We can talk more calmly back where I live."

She gave you a welcoming smile, something you would expect from Katara. She's always been caring of everybody, patient and very motherly, of what you heard. I walked besides her and entered a well kept wooden house that was slightly bigger than the other ones, it was warm and cozy inside compared to the outdoors. I took off my thick sweater and the one of Momo's, who got cozy immediately. I slightly chuckled and looked around the wooden house and saw some family pictures around, then suddenly, a pretty yet recognizable women came in from a room.

"Hey mom, do you ne— oh, hi there."

I froze, not expecting her to come out and the looked strangely familiar. Katara came back from the small kitchen and smiled at the women.
"Kya, I'd like you to meet (Y/N), the girl who came in with Hudaq to drop the supplies we needed. (Y/N), this is my daughter, Kya."

Why didn't I think of that?? She looks almost exactly like her, but obviously younger and.. very pretty. Can a flying bison crush me or something?

The women, or Kya, looked at me and smiled, extending her hand so I can shake it.

"It's nice meeting you (Y/N), are you a waterbender?"

I took her hand, but I frowned and shake my head.

"Sadly I'm not, neither of my parents are benders. Although I wish I could be a waterbender! I've heard so many stories of your mother and I'm so glad I could meet her in person, and you too!"

She giggled and sits down on the couch in the living room, patting the seat besides her, which you did, along side Momo.
"Oh! A shirshu? I haven't seen one in so many years, how did get one?"

"It was.. kind of accidental. Me and my dad were dropping off some stuff for an earth nation town, and I kind of wonder off too far." I scratched the back of my back awkwardly, but smiled. "But then I saw a baby shirshu besides a river, and she looked hurt so I brought her back to where everyone else was and called a healer quickly, and that's how I met Momo." I stared at Momo and sighed, I'm glad I got her in time. She could've been in worse shape and it was getting lonely in that boat.

"Aw, that's sweet. Also, who's the lucky individual?" Kya said, in which I looked at her confused.

"Your necklace, silly."

"I was going to ask the same thing, here". Katara came in with three cups of tea and handing it to me and Kya. I bowed to thank her, but then I sighed sadly.

"Well.. this necklace was done by a special boy that I loved for years. His name was Noatak. He handed it to me the day he.. disappeared in a snowstorm after he went hunting. Neither his father or brother knew what happen, but he just.. left. Many of them think he didn't survive but.. I have hope his still alive." I finished telling them what happen, cleaning away a small tear that rolled down in my cheek and looked at both of them, who looked at me pitifully.

"Ah! I'm sorry for ruining the good mood, it's a pretty depressing story..."

"It's alright (Y/N), I know how it feels to lose someone dear to you.. but things like that, you learn from them and they make you mature and learn from life.. even if it isn't in the nicest ways." Katara says, gently smiling at me and I nodded, but I frowned.

"Still.. I feel like something isn't adding up." They looked at me confused, but kept quiet so I can continue talking. "I noticed that every time they went out, Noatak just looked more and more serious, quiet, and as if something was bothering him. I tried bringing it up a few times but he either changed the subject so I wouldn't worry about it, or straight up didn't say anything.. and the day he gave me this necklace, he said sorry, for not being the his usual self. But that he was going to make things right.. and then.. he left."

I felt a hand pat my back gently, and I looked over and saw Kya looking at my pityingly, yet smiled and gave me a hug. I was a bit shocked, but hugged her back and tried to keep my composure. Katara looked at us and smiled, going over and pats my head.

"Do you want to have time for yourself? We can leave for a moment." I shocked my head, cleaning away small tears building up in my eyes and smiled at the both of them, reassuring them I was alright.

"Nah, I'm fine. But I should head back before my dad worries about me and starts freaking out." They both chuckled and Kya patted my back with a wide smile.
"It was nice meeting you, (Y/N), I wish you could've stayed longer!"
"Yeah, me too. Maybe I can convince my dad or something, but we'll have to see."

I gave both of them a hug, thanking them for taking the time of their day for speaking with me, and that I felt more fresher after letting those emotions out. Even if it seemed sad, it felt like I lifted something off my chest, as if I needed to speak to someone who understands me and helped me believe he was still somewhere out there. Whatever happen in that hunting trip, Tarrlok nor his father are telling the full truth of what happened.

But I didn't want to worry about that right now, I needed to speak with my dad about something important. I'm thinking of telling him that I'll be staying in the South Pole for awhile so I can start my travels later. I knew I'm still young, but I can learn to defend myself! Even if I'm not a bender and all that. I already had planned when I want to go, so I only needed an approval..