Ch 3: Waking Up

"No." Clarity lifted her head, voice kept even despite the fact that her body was shaking in terror. "No, Gideon, don't stop, not yet...we have to get through this."

"Clarity, you're shaking." Sara pointed out.

"Because I know what happens next." Clarity's voice cracked tears in her eyes the lights in the parlour all flickering. "And if we stop now...we're never going to start again. Please, no breaks...just...just keep going."

"Clarity, we just saw you get struck by lightning  and go flying into a circuit board I think we all need-" Ray began only to get cut off.

"This can't be what unnerves you. Getting struck by lightning...it's only the beginning. Now's not the place to stop." Clarity insisted wiping at her eyes. "Trust me."

"Alright, Gideon keep the footage playing." Rip ordered.

Pain. It was the first thing Clarity was aware of as she awoke. Her entire body stung and her lower back felt like it was on fire. She blinked her eyes open only to see she was laying on her back on her hardwood floor. The windows banged noisily against the wall as rain continued to splash in. The sound of sirens drifted in to Clarity's loft as they all rushed about to rescue people.

"The whole city's in a panic," Todd frowned.

"It was a prime night for crime." Snart confirmed.

"Guys Clarity is bleeding on her hardwood floor. Who cares about the city?" Sara demanded.

"We do." Mick grunted as he ate some popcorn. "We live there."

"Help..." Clarity weakly called her voice just above a whisper, but she received no reply.  "Somebody...Anybody.... Please...help."

"Nobody's going to hear you over all that noise." Todd fretted. "Is anybody with you in there?"

"Barry was lucky. He got struck by lightning in a public space. I got struck in the privacy of my own home." Clarity shook her head at the scene. "And I was alone, great combination."

"I can't even imagine." Ray frowned. "So nobody saw the lightning burst inside? Not one person?"

"If they did see they probably thought it wasn't their problem." Clarity shrugged. "Nobody came to help me. I was...I was on my own."

"Damn." Jax remarked. He couldn't even imagine not having been in a public place when the accelerator went off.

"Language Jefferson." Stein berated.

"Sorry Gray but felt like the right word man." Jax replied.

Clarity rolled over onto her side to face away from the windows chilly breeze, a painfilled cry leaving her lips, tears springing to her eyes, the action causing her serious pain. Her right hand flew around to her lower back only her fingertips didn't land upon skin. Instead Clarity found herself touching something metal. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, but as she felt the surface more Clarity realized that it was the circuit board she had been working on earlier. It was now embedded in her lower back. She pulled her hand back in front of her face and sure enough the appendage was covered in blood.

"Jesus..." Sara muttered under her breath hands over her mouth turning to face Clarity in alarm.

"That's how I got this." Clarity turned around pulling up her shirt to reveal her scar on her lower back. "It healed okay I think? but getting it really hurt. My body magnetized the circuit board to my skin. I literally had to pry it off myself."