II.

╔═══════꧁꧂═══════╗

The morning was filled with much excitement in the Brookings residence. Shouts came from Aunt Brookings about how Lilia's hair didn't curl from the night before, how her dress wasn't grand enough, and waist wasn't small enough.

Lilia and Caterina were squealing about it all morning. Going on and on about what type of music would be played and men would be in attendance. Lilia had sounded like she had waited her whole life just for this simple day, and that if she made the wrong step she'd shatter it entirely.

There was no particular rush for Lilia to find a husband, although the Brookings did have a few gentlemen in mind. They were adamant about her being finished before marriage but that didn't mean a man couldn't wait for Lilia to come back from wherever they were going to send her.

Even though I had no interest in the Brookings plan, I will admit to being gravely nervous myself. I had begun to question my own worth, and wondered if I really was as vile as everyone made me seem.

And if I was, why would the Brookings believe any full-minded man would marry me? If I was so awful, I should plan a life as an old maid. That sounded much more bearable than marriage.

I wanted to do something meaningful with my life. Not just to be married away because I'm too bothersome for my family.

I didn't know how to cook well enough, I was no seamstress, and I couldn't maintain a house to save my life.

Although my ignorance for such things could work in my favor.

"Ow," I said as my corset was being tightened. "Why do I need wear this monstrosity again?"

I looked at my tightened waist in the mirror and began to feel an overwhelming anxiety. The girl in the mirror was not Ophelia Brookings, yet only a lookalike who would be playing her tonight.

I felt a crease in my forehead as I tried to keep still for Lilia behind me, but my heart felt much too heavy for correct posture.

"Don't fuss now, all respectable ladies wear it." Lilia replied, tightening it even harsher this time to prove her point.

I grunted in response.

"I am not fussing, I simply asked a question."

She finished up with the corset and moved onto my disheveled hair.

"It's going to take quite a lot to make you look, appealing to the eye." She smiled at me and cocked her head to the side. "I do hope you find a husband though, it would be nice to have you out of the house."

"Would it now? That makes me want to stay even more" I said sarcastically, brushing the fallen hair out of my face.

Lilia laughed. "Oh no, father would never allow it. I'm shocked he let such an odd child into our home to begin with."

She continued fiddling her fingers within my hair.

"Perhaps he felt bad." I raised my eyebrows, smiling wickedly.

There was no greater pleasure than angering Lilia Brookings.

She pursed her lips and ignored my comment.