4. Abscondence: Human Frailty

"I simply cannot accept my poor, beautiful daughter going out there all alone! Please, Acting Grandmaster, you have to understand!"

Pleading, but forceful at the same time your father continued talking into the blonde woman. Though acting understanding - she was probably sharing some of the concern - you could see her lips pressing into a thin line ever so slightly. She was a bit annoyed. As were you, your father completely exaggerated the dangers of the mountains surrounding Mondstadt, as well as your inability to defend yourself. You felt slightly bad for Acting Grandmaster Jean, you had been here long enough to know she was one swarmed with duties and tasks, without even a minute a day for herself. Overworking herself, for the sake of others. Though to her own volition, as you had found out. You admired her resolve but felt bad for her at the same time. And right now, adding to her, no doubt, already stressful day was your father with his hands on her desk, pressuring her to send one of her knights into the wild with you since apparently you wouldn't be able to handle it by yourself. You sighed. It would have been smarter to not mention the situation with the treasure hoarders at all.

"You are correct, sir," Jean appeased him, "but you have to understand that it will take a while to find someone... With the recent hilichurl attacks on the city, we don't have a lot of men to spare."

"It's alright," you tried to intervene, but Jean was, despite her slight annoyance, really trying to find a solution.

"I could, however, ask our maid, Noelle, she's incredib-"

A loud explosion tore through the rest of her sentence and had all three of you jump in shock. Jean was the first one to regain her composure.

"There is nothing to worry about. This happens from time to time and I know exactly who is at fault. Please excuse me for a minute," she asked of you and left the room in a hurry, with heavy steps. It reminded you of your mother when she had gotten ready to reprimand you. A small smile snuck on your face with the memory.

In the distance you could hear shouting, and a kid, probably trying to defend itself. Then silence. Then Jean's loud voice, shouting again. And quiet again.

After a few moments Jean came back, followed by none other than Kaeya. Your heart jumped into your throat at the unexpected reencounter. The way the two of them entered, Jean like an upset mother and Kaeya with the guilty smile of someone who knew he had done something wrong, made you imagine her pulling him inside on his ear. You wondered what had happened.

Jean sat down behind her desk again and faced your father once more.

"Cavalry Captain Kaeya Alberich," Jean introduced him to your father. "Since he obviously has nothing better to do than bribing children into destroying our headquarters, he will be the one accompanying your daughter. Rest assured, he is a most capable man if he chooses to act like one." She shot a sharp glance into Kaeya's direction which he just laughed off.

Your father looked back and forth between the two knights with an unsure expression." Are you certain this is a good idea?" he asked.

"Of course. Kaeya does not have the title of Cavalry Captain for nothing, " Jean reassured your father once again.

"Father," you spoke up. "Additionally, I've already made his acquaintance. I prefer him over a total stranger."

"Choosing me, eh?" Kaeya grinned at you and again you couldn't help but blush, especially with his remark.

"Alright, fine," your father agreed. "But you better bring my daughter back in one piece."

"Obviously," he answered. "Please trust in my ability to keep her away from any danger."