6. Confrontation: Duality

The characters Kaeya was sitting at a table and interacting with were truly suspicious, that much you could see from afar. There was a certain look to treasure hoarders, one you recognized in those men as well. Their behavior and gesture reminded you too much of those men that had threatened you outside of the city some weeks ago. It didn't help that one of them was playing around with a knife. Somehow, the fact that Kaeya was hanging out with them left a sour taste in your mouth. You turned away from the sight.

"Kaeya truly does take his job seriously," Eula spoke from the seat across you. She had followed your gaze and realized what was going on in your head.

"His job?" you asked. "As a Knight of Favonius?".

Next to her, Amber agreed with you, being not too big of a fan of Kaeya. "How would conversing with criminals help out the Knights?"

"In quite a lot of ways, actually," Eula started to explain to you. "Firstly, Kaeya gathers tons of useful information this way, not only about the treasure hoarders, but other opposing factions as well. And secondly, by being an inside man and being friends with them, he has accumulated tons of favors from them, can use the treasure hoarders against themselves and make sure they can always be dealt with by the Knights. Once, he even pulled the strings to get me out of a quite unfavorable situation. I will still have my vengeance for that incident."

"I see," you answered while Amber just laughed at Eula's last remark. But your heart felt lighter with this new information. Kaeya did this for the greater good, for the safety of Mondstadt.

You watched the scene for a few more minutes. They were interacting in a friendly way, laughing a lot and touching glasses. Then, suddenly, the whole atmosphere changed when Kaeya snatched the hand of the man with the knife and pressed it on the table. He leaned forward to talk to them, and whatever he had to say had quite the effect on them. They were paralyzed for a few seconds, then three of them left the table in a hurry, leaving only the man whose hand was still in Kaeya's grasp. Another few words were exchanged between them, then the treasure hoarder let go of the knife. Kaeya consequently backed away and took the blade into his own hands. Mimicking his opposite, he was playing with it in a laid-back way while the other trembled in anger. And the, shortly before the last one left as well, you could make out the fear in his eyes. Kaeya apparently enjoyed the situation immensely, looked after the fleeing man and took another sip of his wine. After a few seconds, he noticed you watching him intensely.

Quickly, feeling embarrassed at being caught staring, you averted your gaze, but it was too late. Kaeya, who was now sitting alone at his table, got up and walked over to you.

"Good evening, ladies!" he greeted you as he approached your table and sat down next to you without even asking. It was evident that he was in a very good mood. "I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am."

"Good evening, Cavalry Captain," Eula returned the greeting in her way, while Amber and you just said, "Hello, Kaeya."

"My dear Spindrift Knight, there is no need to be so formal, is there?" With a light 'cling', his wine glass touched Eula's and taking another sip, Kaeya finished his wine. Eula did the same. Despite their formal words, they seemed to like each other quite a lot.

"I will get you another glass of wine," she suddenly said to him. "I told you to mark my words!"

"Fine, fine," Kaeya seemed pretty happy about her suggestion. "Have your vengeance."

"I'll help you", Amber said and got up with her, as she had noticed that all glasses were empty (and she knew Eula would get a new drink for everyone).

Again, you were alone with Kaeya, this time in his territory, the Angel's Share.

"You're quite the nosy one, huh?" he asked you, referring to your staring from before.