Chapter 4

(Theo and Alex)'s P.O.V.

The blue-haired boy stopped in front of me. "Who are you?" he asked nervously. I smiled. "Which name do you prefer? Theo or Alex?"

Valt blinked. "Alex, I suppose."

I grinned. "Very well then! Call me Alex!"

"Why did you bring me here?" I could see the boy tense up. "You didn't attack Shu, did you?" "Not at all," I answered cheerfully. "But I have some information to give to you about his attack."

Valt leaned forward. "What is it?"

I tutted. "I won't give you that kind of info without a reward, you know."

"Anything," Valt pressed.

I smiled. "Oh, look at the time! Go home now, Valt. Perhaps tomorrow you will be a little... busy. Come back Friday night. Same time, same place."

And I let myself melt into the shadows.

Valt's P.O.V.

I was ten different kinds of shocked as I walked back home. Could he really help me? Or was it a big fat lie, and he was actually the person who attacked Shu?

The lights were already off. I took caution and was quiet as I unlocked the door and slipped back into my room. For the next hour, I lay awake, staring at the ceiling. Near 3am, I finally fell asleep, into a deep, dark dream.

Toko and Nika woke me up at seven in the morning. "Wake up, sleepyhead!" Toko shouted. I threw my blanket over my head and rolled into the gap between my bed and the wall. The twins clambered up into my bed and looked down at me. "Trying to trick us?" Nika teased. "Fine, you win," I muttered sleepily, dragging himself out of bed.

The school day was a bore (as usual). Being half asleep just made everything worse. I had to plod from one classroom to the next. Worse of all, he had gym that day, and completely forgot to bring the right clothes. I wore a sweaty shirt throughout the lectures and got a glare from pretty much everyone.

"Sorry," I mumbled to every teacher I passed. "Didn't get enough sleep last night."

By the time it was time to go home, I was drained.

"Valt." Mom was standing by the doorway of our house. I instantly was on alert. Was I in trouble?

"What is it, Mom? I want to go sleep. I didn't get enough sleep last night." Mom sighed. "You have one hour to sleep."

One hour later, Mom woke me. "What is it?" I yawned. "I have nothing to do today and barely any homework."

"I've asked your teacher to give you an extension for your homework," Mom told me. I was glad to hear this, but it didn't solve the puzzle that was tangling up all my thoughts. Mom never gave me extensions for homework. I had to do everything before three thirty, then help her out and make bread. "But why?"

Mom didn't answer.

"I've got to make a call," she said. "In five minutes, you should have changed into a pair of jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. I'll be back soon." She marched out of the room.

A long-sleeved shirt? Sure, it was September, but not nearly cold enough to wear something like that. I searched through my clothes and picked out the coolest (as in the thinnest) long-sleeved shirt I could find. I was pulling my jeans on when Mom came in again.

"Get ready," Mom told me.

"Mom... where are we going?"

"To the hospital."