Chapter 9

Honcho's P.O.V.

I was worried about Valt.

I mean, he was always happy before, and now he was looking over his shoulder constantly, like he was scared of something.

"Have a lollipop," I told him, handing him one. Valt smiled, but he walked past me, staring in front of him.

Valt's P.O.V.

What was wrong with me?

Honcho was just giving me a lollipop to cheer me up, and I'm looking at it as if it was poisonous. I wanted to cry.

Stop it. Just eat the lollipop. I ripped the wrapper off and popped the strawberry and cream lollipop into my mouth.

The sweetness was like a slap in the face. My thoughts cleared instantly. I smiled, savoring the taste.

Alex slipped my mind for the next week.

Until he called me.

At first, I thought his number was Toko. Toko's tablet could call, and he had been calling almost non-stop once he knew he was out of school. Without thinking, I sighed with exasperation and answered the call.

"Hi Valt."

Huh?  "Alex?" I whispered quietly. "That's right," he replied coldly. "Last chance. Woods, tonight, midnight."

He clicked off the call.

Argh. I knew I had to go tonight. This was my last chance. I couldn't let it slip from my fingers.

So that night, I snuck out at eleven.

Alex was waiting for me, a scowl the part of his face I could see. He was wearing the same outfit as last time, same mask over his face. "Finally you decided to come." I dropped my gaze, hoping I looked apologetic. "Busy," I mumbled.

"For three weeks?" Alex sneered. 

I didn't answer.

"Go," Alex ordered. "Don't look back."

I wanted to protest, but it occurred to me I couldn't fight or anything. Not like Shu... I thought ruefully.

As I walked back home, I could hear someone practicing launching in the practice stadium. I didn't think much of it, even though it was the middle of the night.

Until I wondered why someone would be practicing in the middle of the night.