"Get a job," I say, unemployed

It had been three days since I signed the contract, and I had absolutely nothing to do.

I was beginning to think this was a bad idea. Sure, they gave me a phone, but candy crush and solitaire can only keep someone distracted for like thirty minutes, tops. 

What to do, what to do, what to do.

Suddenly the idea of the century hit me.

I should order pizza.

Grabbing my phone, I dialed Dominoes, the only number I had memorized. I asked for a large cheese pizza with garlic sauce, but realized I didn't know where I was, let alone the address of the house.

This was harder than I thought it would be.

"It's like this giant house, surrounded by forest, kind of in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure, but it would be hard to miss if you were hiking."

"Oh, you mean Coretti's place? We'll send Gian over for you."

Well of course they had their own pizza delivery boy. What didn't they have? This whole place was calling me poor in three different languages.

Skipping down the hallway, I looked around for Donatello, the guy who had brought me in and grunted a lot. We'd made proper introductions, and I found out he loves gambling but was terrible at it. Or maybe I was just really good at poker.

"DONATELLOOOO," I yelled, before seeing him on one of the many plush couches. "Can I please have twenty dollars?"

He groaned, turning to face me. "God, you're like a three year old. Didn't you already take enough of my money last night with your stupid gambling skills?"

"I'm a hot three year old though," I said, doing a dramatic hair-flip. "Don't be a grump."

He sighed, fishing into his pocket and pulling out a twenty. "Why do you even need this? It's not like you're going anywhere."

"I need to make a living somehow."

"Do you ever think before you speak?"

"Thanks for the tip."

I began making my way to the door when he stopped me. "Antonio's coming back today, so don't do anything to stupid."

"Wouldn't dream of it."

............

I was sitting on the floor, waiting for the pizza guy to get here, when the doorbell rang. Scrambling up, I yanked open the door.

"Finally, I'm starving!"

My eyes fell on the box before travelling up to the guy carrying it. And let me tell you, when I say this guy was hot, he was hot. Like Abercrombie model hot.

"Careful, it's just out of the oven." He said, before looking up and smiling at me.

Damn.

"Hey, can I have your number?" I asked, grinning at him and leaning against the doorway. "It's not everyday I meet a model."

I know I'm blunt, but being surrounded by hot Mafia guys made me kind of desperate. It was like living in a candy store, but not being able take anything.

He looked taken aback for a second, before laughing. "Look, you seem really fun, but I have a boyfriend."

"Ohhhhhh, ok. Can I still have your number? I'm really bored, and I need someone to talk to."

Still smiling, he took out his phone, handed it to me, and I typed in my number. I gave it back and a few seconds later heard a ding coming from my pocket. 

"Well, nice to meet you, Eva."

"How did you know my name?"

"It's on the receipt."

"Oh."

He gave me my pizza, and I slid him the twenty.

"You can keep the change."

"Really?"

"Yeah, no problem."

Look at me making friends.

...........

Antonio's POV

The van was just turning onto the long driveway of the manor, when I saw an unfamiliar car parked near the gates.

"Ferma l'auto. Sergio, come with me, we'll go check it out."

(Translation: Stop the car.)

Sergio was the under boss, my best friend, and my cousin. I had gone to meet him at the warehouse, where he was overseeing some important gun shipments. He also apparently met Eva there, when Donatello and the guys checked in.

We crept silently through the woods, until we got up close to the front entrance and crouched behind a bush. A guy got out of the car, holding a thin-ish box in his hand and rang the doorbell. To my surprise, Eva opened the door almost immediately, looking very excited.

"What is she doing?" Sergio hissed, squinting at the two of them talking.

"I have no idea."

The guy laughed and got out his phone, handed it to her, and she typed something in.

"Are they exchanging numbers?"

For some reason I felt a surge of jealousy rush through me. I don't know why though. I already had her number, it was in the phone when I gave it to her so she could contact me if anything went wrong. 

She hadn't contacted you yet.

Which was good, because it would mean something bad had happened.

Sergio pulled me out of my thoughts. "Look, he's leaving without the package."

My eyes snapped to guy, watching as he walked away, got into his car, and drove back towards the main road.

"Do you know who that was?" I asked, trying to get a look at the license plate.

"He looks familiar, but I don't know why. We're too far away."

Eva smiled happily at the box in her hands, before shutting the door behind her.

"What do you think it was?" Sergio asked, straightening up and walking towards the house.

I stood up too, following him. Could be a bomb, I wouldn't put it past the Russians.

"Let's go find out."

............

I thought writing a book would be easier than this.

-SB