Ed Sheeran wouldn't treat me like this

Eva's POV

I was munching on my pizza, minding my own business, when BAM, my door flew open. I screeched, dropping the pizza slice onto my lap and throwing my phone at the intruder. I immediately regretted it. I really need to rethink my reflexes.

"What the-?" I said, placing a hand over my heart. "Jesus Christ, hasn't anyone taught you to knock?"

"Who was that?" Antonio said, seething, and I saw the dude from the warehouse peak over his shoulder.

"Fancy meeting you here." 

Antonio's face clouded with confusion, but the warehouse guy laughed.

"I didn't think I'd see you again. I'm Sergio."

"Eva. A pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine."

Antonio growled. "Will you two shut up! Who was that man you were talking to?"

"Oh, him? I just met him, his name is Gian. He's your guys' pizza delivery boy. You'd think you'd know him, considering he's the only one that delivers to you."

His grip loosened on the doorknob, and I picked up my fallen pizza slice, taking a big bite.

"Want some?" I laughed, getting a flashback to when we'd first met.

He sighed, shaking his head, but I didn't miss the slight smile on his lips.

"I'll take some!" Sergio squeezed through the doorway and plopped himself down on the floor in front of me.

Antonio gave him a glare, before walking over to hover near us.

"So if he's just the pizza delivery boy, why did you give him your number?"

..........

It took 15 minutes of strong persuasion to convince them that I was just lonely and needed a friend.

If only it wasn't true.

I gave them both a slice of pizza and chatted with Sergio. Antonio was just standing there on his phone, which I found to be very rude. Are we not interesting enough for you?

"Anyways," I said, stretching my legs out in front of me. "That's why I'm absolutely terrified of small, colorful birds."

"That's crazy. The things we do. Hey, did I tell you about the time I was shoved out of a building?"

"First of all, we've known each other for literally 45 minutes. Secondly, no, you haven't, but now you have to tell me."

Antonio snorted, finally tearing his eyes away from his screen.

Rotting his brain I tell you. Rotting.

"Don't tell this story, it makes me look like the bad guy."

"I thought you were the bad guy," I said innocently. "You practically tearing my poor door off it's hinges is proof of that."

"It's not my fault you were acting suspiciously."

Sergio smirked. "I mean she has a point."

"Hey!"

They started bickering, but my eyes slowly drifted towards the doorway. A rabbit sat on the ground, its fluffy white ears floppy and dragging on the floor. It was the cutest thing I'd ever seen, and it took everything within me not to 'aww' and rush over to pet it.

I stared as it twitched it's little nose and looked over at me with giant doe eyes. I knew it wasn't real, but it looked so alive, with tiny movements, and even a soft rise and fall of its chest.

I blinked hard several times, trying to make it go away.

"Eva. Eva, are you ok?" Sergio waved a hand in front of my face, and I turned to face him.

"Hm? Oh yeah, I'm fine." I glanced back, but the rabbit was gone. "What were we talking about?"

"You missed my whole story!"

Antonio laughed. "If it can be called that."

"Well, it has a beginning, middle, and end, so it's a story."

I laughed, and Sergio launched into his retelling of being pushed out of an apartment building. Antonio would chime in every once in a while to say that he did not in fact do that, but Sergio would just brush it off, asking who I believed more.

Suddenly, Sergio's phone rang, and he left to go talk to whoever was at the other end.

We sat in silence for a little while, before I spoke up. I can't bear silence, it's just so crushing and it makes my schizophrenia act up.

"So, how long have you been in the family?"

"Well, I was officially sworn in when I was eight, but I've been a part of it ever since I was born. I grew up with Sergio, and my father ran the Mafia before me. When we both turned sixteen, my father passed it on to me. I became the boss, Sergio the under boss."

I was kind of surprised he gave such a detailed answer.

"Wow. That's a long time."

"What about you? You said you dated someone from the Mafia, was it one of ours?"

"Huh? Oh no, they were American."

"Was it a messy break up?" He asked, putting the last piece of pizza crust in his mouth.

"No, it was more of a mutual thing. Our schedules didn't really align, and we became kind of distant." I tossed the empty pizza box to the side, before sliding down to the ground.

"Well at least you didn't break his heart. It would be tough to get him off your back." Antonio crawled over so he was laying down next to me. "But wait, didn't you have to sign an omertà?"

"No. They might have suspected I knew about the 'business', but no one ever brought it up. Everyone has something they would rather keep a secret, and this was his."

We laid there in silence for a few seconds, each lost in our own thoughts, before Sergio burst in.

"I swear, you guys are just trying to break my door," I grumbled.

"Boss, the Russians attacked one of our trucks. Four were wounded, three killed, and they took half the-uh-merchandise." It was obvious they didn't want me to know too much about their 'business'.

"Damn it. Eva, stay here." He jumped up and rushed out the door, followed closely by Sergio.

The little white rabbit peaked its head around the door, hopping out right before it shut behind them.

I really needed to get my medication.

............

Ok, but I just want to give a giant bear hug to @harrypottah124 because honestly she's the only thing keeping me going. 

Go check out the book she's writing because I'm really excited for it and she has nice aesthetics. 

Anyways, love her and love you guys too.

-SB