Chapter 5

Crowley's POV

Crowley's POV

AFTER HARPER HAD AGREED TO HELP us stop Armageddon, we left Aziraphale's bookshop. Now she knew who I really was, what I was capable of. She knew that I was a demon, but she didn't seem to care. She didn't even flinch when she saw my eyes.  I thought that she would've screamed but instead, she....complemented me. I felt a strange emotion deep within the pit of my stomach. It gnawed away at me uncomfortably. I have been living for absolutely ages but never once in my life have I felt this unknown feeling. I wasn't sure wether or not I liked it. But I knew that I didn't like being unsure. I just wanted the answer. It was so frustrating. How did one human girl have the power to make such a difference?

I drove the Bentley home, thinking all these thoughts and listening to Queen songs.

A few days later

Harper's POV

The bright sunlight shone through my curtains and I woke up. My head was still spinning from everything that had happened recently: the fact that I had made friends with an angel and a demon and that they had asked my to help them stop Armageddon. I was still doubting that it was even real. It probably wasn't. 

I pulled myself out of bed and looked in the mirror. Boy, I was a mess. 

——— 

Later that day, I headed out of my flat, I needed some air and time to think. Everything was so crazy, a few days ago, I lived on a quiet cliff top in the most empty part of Cornwall. Now I had been asked by two sort-of-strangers to save the world from Armageddon.

I thought I was still in shock.

I walked though the streets looking for somewhere to sit down and just write, hoping it would take my mind off things. I found a quiet coffee shop and walked in. I ordered a takeaway from the barista and left the shop, thinking my head was a little bit clearer if I sat outside in the park.

After a few minutes I found a bench opposite a duck pond filled with lily pads. I sat down and finally started to relax a bit. I sipped my coffee and looked around the park, it was so peaceful; completely unlike my current life.

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder. I gasped, thinking that something very bad was about to happen. I spun my head around and locked eyes with someone.

Crowley.

"Oh my God, it's you. Why did you do that?" I asked, still shocked and gasping for breath.

"To scare you." He stated with a smirk. 

"Ok, well, it worked." I said, "You can join me if you want." I added as I motioned to the blank space on the bench. 

He looked unsure but then he walked around and sat down. He spread himself out and slouched so much that I had to stifle my laugh. He looked so laid-back compared to my anxious gait that it was almost comical. 

"So, why are you here?" He asked, turning to look at me.

"I needed to clear my head. I wanted time to think about everything, you know, how we might all be dead in a week." Although I said it as a joke, Crowley caught the sadness in my voice.

"Look, I don't want to die either. That's why me, you and Aziraphale are going to stop this." He had genuine hope and encouragement in his voice and he did actually make me slightly feel better.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"For what?"

"For being nice."

Suddenly, Crowley grabbed my collar bringing his face close to mine. The sudden movement made me gasp loudly, not at all sure what he was doing.

"Nice is a four letter word. I am not nice, I am a demon."

He spat out the word as if it was the worst possible thing I could've called him, it seemed to have struck a nerve. 

After he had finished shouting I suddenly realised how close his face was to mine (this seemed to be a common occurrence). His held his face so close to mine for what felt like such a long time that my cheeks began to tint red. I could feel his warm breath brush across my face, but his eyes were still concealed by his sunglasses. Neither of us moved; both not sure what to do. Eventually, Crowley backed away, looking almost hurt.

"I need to go." He said in a monotone voice. He stood up and was about to leave.

"Wait." I said, also standing up. "Please, don't go." I realised how pathetic I sounded and was suddenly embarrassed. Crowley glanced behind and saw me. His eyes seemed to soften under his sunglasses, but then again I really couldn't tell. 

"Ok, I will stay, just don't call me 'nice' again." He laughed as he sat down on the bench again, this time closer to me.

We began to edge back into normal conversation after a while. We talked about our lives for hours and Crowley told me how he and Aziraphale had seen many famous events in history like Jesus' death and the first performance of Hamlet. My life wasn't as interesting but I spoke about my dreams of becoming a reciting poet, but I specifically clarified that I didn't want to be a soppy sort of poet. He laughed when I said that. I had gotten used to his laugh now. I liked the way how he was sarcastic about nearly everything, like me, and how he dressed like he was a famous rock star from the 70s or something. His voice snapped me out of my thoughts once again. 

"Harper, sorry but I've just realised that we've been here for ages and I don't want to have to go through all the trouble of a parking ticket." He said.

"Oh....yeah ok." I pulled myself up off the bench and we walked through the park.

"You know, you may be demon of Hell or whatever, but you've got to agree that this place is lovely." I said with a smirk.

Crowley looked around and he smiled, also returning my smirk.

"Yeah, ok, I guess it's quite nice."

I giggled. We stopped walking when we reached the Bentley. So, where can I take you?" Crowley asked, offering me a ride.

"I don't mind, but I am quite hungry."

"Well, maybe we should go to a cafe then." He said, dramatically. I climbed into the car and sat next to him. We raced at one hundred miles per hour though the busy and crowded roads of London. I laughed to myself. I was glad that I had made friends with Crowley.