Ch. 3

The two sat on the couch waiting for Hermione to come back with the tea. Carina -Bellatrix- sat right next to the girl soaking up all the attention. Maze loved how soft she was, all the giggles and hyena purrs had her smiling. Getting back to the two the professor placed a cup of tea in front of the first-year Slytherin. Sugar, honey, and milk if she wanted. A vine wood wand flicking left and up curling the pink spikes back to the brown it was before. Hearing the clinking of cups Bellatrix turned to the table. Nose sniffing around for her cup. No finding one she barked, tongue sticking out from her teeth as she smiled.

"Carina wants tea too." Maze looked at the table, two cups, and a plate full of biscuits.

"I never saw her drink tea."

Carina snapped her jaws then stuck her tongue out more. With a snap of her fingers, a third cup came to the table. Leaning down, Hermione filled it adding a little milk and after looking at Carina for a few seconds she added two spoons of sugar. Maze happily helped Carina find the tea. The hyena sniffed it a few times before laying down calmly waiting for it to cool more. Hermione smiled before turning to the second-year student.

"How have you been Miss. Cobble?"

"Besides Pithon and his lackeys, it's good." Maze looked away slipping her drink. Her hazel eyes watering before she forcefully blinked.

"Maze." The girl looked at her. "I want you to know you are always welcomed here. I don't care about the time of day, if you want this can be a place for you to relax."

She looked at her professor. "I can't do that. I don't want to-"

"McGonagall did the same for me. There were days I just walked in, started making hot chocolate, gave her a cup and plopped on the couch by her fire, and just read. She saw I was struggling with things and offered. I want to do the same for you."

Those hazel eyes water more. "I don't want to be a bother."

Bellatrix sighed. Sitting up she lapped up half of her tea before leaning overlaying herself over Maze's lap. Letting out her odd purrs.

Hermione chuckled. "How about this, and I'm not forcing you." Her smile matched Maze's as the girl scratched up and down Bella's neck. "You come here once or twice a week to say hello to Carina. She doesn't trust easily but it looks like she enjoys you."

Maze looked down to a very comfortable looking hyena. "What do you think Carina?" The hyena looked up and did something no one would ever believe or thought she would do. Bellatrix licked the student. The rough wet tongue moved up from jaw to eye. Bursting out laughing before laying back down. Head moving to look at Hermione smiling wide.

"I guess I have to now." The girl laughed while wiping her cheek.

"Most definitely. Now you can stay here and relax, it's not a bother, but I need to grade papers. Carina can have biscuits but too much upsets her stomach." The professor stood up patted Carina on her hip, scratched Maze's hair softly, stole two sweets, and had her cup follow her to her desk that was on the other side of the room next to the large window looking off to the quidditch field.

After a while, she looked up. Maze was still in the room laying on her belly facing the hyena, who was also on her belly on the floor. The girl was just chatting away. Earning a few licks here and there from the animal. Hermione made a note to ask Bellatrix what that was all about later.

🐍🐍

The hall was once again full of chatter. Students talking over one another discussing the newest broom or today's lessons. Ravenclaws kept excitedly laughing and smiling at the Gryffindors. In the last quidditch game Ravenclaws won, their seeker ended up pulling a 'Harry Potter' the girl fell off her broom only to eat the snitch. Try as she might Hermione couldn't help but look over at the Slytherin table. Her eyes always ended up on Maze.

"I still don't know what's so fascinating about the Slytherin table." McGonagall smiled at her old student as she jumped.

"It's nothing."

"Are you sure? I know the color is lovely and they are fighting side by side with Ravenclaw on smarts. The ambition to be the smartest is admirable."

Her brown eyes meet the green eyes of her favorite professor, now headmistress. "A student was hexed a few days ago, nothing big just a harmless hair color, but I'm still worried."

"These are children, dear. Smart children who know not to do anything other than harmless ones like your class used to do." Hermione laughed at the paling look Minerva gave her. "On second thought it is understandable to be on edge."

"I think we will be fine for a few more years. Potter nor Weasley are popping kids out. But whenever their kids get here Merlin help us."

Minerva smiled. "Truth."

They looked out to the students watching with small smiles as the Gryffindor table started singing off-key to their newest quidditch song. Ravenclaw table started booing while laughing. Even the Hufflepuffs started getting into the friendly bicker. The Slytherin table stayed quiet listening with wide grins as the players talked in hush tones about how to beat each team for the year. The teachers ate and talked as well, Minerva drank her pumpkin juice pretending she didn't see the teachers making bets for the next game. Hermione almost choked on her drink when the headmistress slipped a note to Hooch and Slughorn. They both laughed before giving her a thumbs up.

"What did you write?"

"Ravenclaw will beat Gryffindor again while Hufflepuff will come out of nowhere becoming this year's champions."

"Hufflepuff?"

Minerva smiled like a cat. "Hufflepuff's seeker and Slytherin's beater are a couple. I've caught them a few times while they went on dates at Hogshead. They discussed quidditch tactics for a few minutes before moving on to something else. Slytherin this year is throwing the towel so Hufflepuff can "wipe the floor" or something like that."

Hermione threw her head back laughing. "I never would have thought." She looked at the Slytherin table. The beater; James Rowle, looked at the Hufflepuff table with a soft gaze. The gaze in return, Helen Nott, looked back with fire in her eyes. It was cute and Hermione felt a twinge in her belly. Blinking in confusion she continued to eat.