Chapter 3: The Shopping Trip

Hello!! Thanks for reading :)

The next day was a shopping day. Nico woke up early to an alarm blaring in his ear. Annabeth was holding a phone to his face.

"In this camp, we wake up early. Get used to it." She explained.

Nico showered, got dressed, and headed to the dining hall for breakfast.

"Look who finally showed up!" Percy said.

"He's almost as late as me!" Leo joked.

Will pated the seat next to him and moved over. Nico sat down and grabbed a plate of eggs.

"This is the counselor's table," Grover explained. "The kids sit over there." Gover pointed to a group of seven picnic tables. Each had a different color flag for the different cabins.

"We keep the flags up for the first three days, so the cabin mates can get to know each other," Leo said.

"Then we take them down so the kids can mingle and make friends." Percy finished.

"After breakfast every morning, there are activities, which Annabeth schedules." Percy continued. "Then lunch, more activities, dinner, and a campfire before bed." He finished.

Once everyone was done eating and Nico was caught up with the rules and schedule, everyone started their second day of jobs.

Will led Nico to his small white car. Nico climbed into the passenger seat and asked, "How far away is the store?"

Will started the car before he answered. "About an hour? Maybe less."

Nico's jaw dropped. "We are that far away from society!" He exclaimed.

Will laughed and started pulling out of the parking lot.

They drove in silence for a few minutes until Will decided to plug his phone into the aux cord. He started playing some weird, happy song that Nico immediately hated.

"What the hell is this?" Nico said

Will just stared at him, for as long as he could which isn't long because he was driving.

"It's only the best song in the universe!" Will almost screamed back at him.

"No, it's too," Nico paused thinking for a word to describe the song when Will interrupted.

"What, happy? Are you emo?."

"Dude, no. And I'm not emo." Nico said.

"Hm, you kinda are though." Will countered.

"No." Nico took the phone and changed the song.

The next song was even worse. Nico decided to look up one of his own songs.

The song was fast but also kinda sad.

"Dude, what the hell?"

"What?"

"Yeah, this song? What the hell is this?" Will had a look of horror on his face.

They finally settled on a song after a few more minutes of arguing.

Once at the store, Nico and Will grabbed a cart.

"All right, onward!" Will exclaimed.

Nico let out a small laugh behind him and jogged to catch up.

Will walked down the cereal aisle first. He stopped and kicked down a shelf of cereal, then ran off.

"Will!" Nico screamed. He ran to where all the cereal was messed up on the ground.

He picked up one of the boxes.

"Kix. Oh, my gods. Will Solace! Get your ass back here!" Nico screamed down the aisle.

He realized that he was making a scene, but didn't seem to care. Will weaved in and out of the isles, the shopping cart long forgotten. Nico chasing after him screaming, the cereal left on the floor.

After chasing each other for ten minutes, Nico caught up to Will. Giggling, the boys stopped to catch their breath.

"We should get food," Nico said between laughs.

Will let out a loud laugh, the sound paralyzing Nico. His laugh was angelic and infectious. Nico shook away the thoughts and followed Will back to their abandoned cart.

In the checkout line, Nico and Will were talking and laughing. The lady bagging the groceries started talking to them.

"If you don't mind me asking," She started. "How long have you two been together?"

The boy's laughter stopped abruptly.

"We, um, aren't," Nico tried. He looked at Will as he took over.

"We aren't dating ma'am," Will said politely.

"Oh my, sorry for assuming." She apologized.

She finished bagging and Nico pushed the cart full of bags out while Will paid.

On his way out, the bagging lady stooped Will.

"You'd be a cute couple." She whispered to him. Letting go of Will's arm and winking, the lady went back to her job.

Will took his time getting back to the car. He thought about what the woman had said.

"You'd be a cute couple."

The simple sentence haunted him for the whole ride back.

After the hour-long trip back, Nico and Will were sent into the pantry to put the food away.

Opening up the huge fridge and putting the eight gallons of milk in, Nico turned to Will.

"Why are you so quiet now?"

Will didn't turn to look, didn't acknowledge that he heard him.

"Will!"

He turned abruptly. "That woman at the store okay!" He stopped and took a deep breath. "She said we looked cute together."

Will pause, waiting for a reaction.

"Nico, please say something," Will begged.

Nico looked up at him.

"Does that," Nico swallowed. "Does that bother you?" The boy blinked rapidly to stop tears from falling down his face.

When Will didn't say anything, Nico left quickly and ran off to the purple cabin.

Please vote if you like this! Thank you!!