My Ice Rose: Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Natalie tapped her foot on the stone ground, impatiently, waiting for her fellow Guardians to arrive. She sighed and crossed her arms over her chest. She leaned forward and looked left and right for someone, but all she could hear, or see in this case, was elves. Soon, getting fed up with waiting for over two hours now, she paced through the room, muttering how she thought they stood her up.

Then the low chuckling of one of her fellow Guardian caught her off guard and she stumbled in surprise. She look, more like glared, at the Guardian, who turned out to be North - although it's usually Bunnymund who is constantly trying to scare her - and huffed, looking away. "Did I scare you, Natalie?" North teased. Natalie glared at him again and opened up her mouth to shout at him, but at the exact time, Toothiana fluttered in, seven minifaires fluttering behind her, chirping in delight of a male coming in.

"Keep it together girls." Toothiana whispered, trying hard not to giggle at they behaviour of the faires. Natalie had to contain the inhumanly urge to roll her eyes and mutter that her fellow Guardian are idiots. Next was the Sandman, coming in through the window to make a 'dramatic' entrance. A small smile tugged at Natalie's lips. She stared at the moon, silently seeking answers that only Tsar Lunar knows. Toothiana noted that she had been staring for the time of five minutes, "Natalie. Natalie, are you okay?"

Natalie snapped out her her daze when she realized that Toothiana had fluttered over to her and started shaking her shoulders. She nodded, absentmindly, her gaze still lingering before she turned her attention to North who clapped his hands together, "Now, I bet you have noticed that Bunnymund is not here. There is a explanation to that," He started, his booming voice slightly echoing. Natalie gave a thought to Sandman, There better be one. Sandman's shoulders moved as if he was laughing but North gave no attention to this.

"He is out getting Jack, the new Guardian. Natalie, pay attention." He finished off sternly, snapping her attention back at him, for Natalie's attention was seeking something more interesting - which was hard to find, considering there was nothing else going on - and made her blush. Natalie, being the 'mature' girl she is, poked her tougue at North who chuckled and continued with explaining. Almost automatically, she tuned him out, staring just above his head and nodding whenever Sandman and Toothiana nodded.

Once North had finished, a yawn escaped Natalie's pale lips. She clamped her hand over her mouth to stop from yawning. North raised his eyebrows at her while the rest of the Guardians - not including bunnymund - looked at her in concern. She shrugged, she hadn't got a lot of sleep for the past few nights. "Ah, here he comes!" North said, his booming voice happy. Natalie bit her lip to stop from yawning again. Noticing this, Toothiana pinched her hand and giggled when she yelped in pain and surprise.

Natalie glared at the other female and crossed her arms over her chest and huffed, looking away. Again. Then she noticed the magic portal closing and a hag moving and shouting words. Natalie looked at the bag and pursed her lips as a young boy, around her age, crawled out of the bag and grabbed his staff, or stick. "I hope the Yetis treated you well." North chuckled. A large hole showed up next to North as Bunnymund jumped out of it. He glared the boy and smirked and gave him a short wave. "Yeah, I love being shoved in a sack and tossed through a magic portal!" He exclaimed sarcastically.

But the sarcasm was lost to North as he smiled and said, "Oh, good. That was my idea!" Natalie raised her hand to her forehead and let it drop down her face in a faceplam. Jack took a good look around, his gaze lingering on each and everyone of them. Toothiana flew towards him and stuck her fingers in his mouth, stretching it so she could look at his teeth. She swooned at how white they were then told her minifairies to pull it together. "Tooth, fingers out of mouth." North said, making Toothiana pull her fingers out of Jack's mouth.

"The big four all together: Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Sandman, and the Easter Kangaroo." Jack said. Natalie raised her arms in the gesture of 'what?', dropping her hand and turned around, walking away but came back when North told her to.  "The what? I'm a bunny." Bunnymund growled as he came face to face with Jack.

"You don't want me. You're all hard work and deadlines! I'm... snowballs and fun times. I'm not a Guardian." Jack tried to get out of the whole Guardian thing. But once he said 'snowballs' something clicked in her memory. A dizzy spell hit her as she took a step back and lost balance. A flashback that she had never known hit her.

A young girl, around five, ran through the village, and older boy chasing her. Her laughing rose into a squeal when he finally caught her. "Gotcha. Come on, Natalie. Supper is ready." He swung her on his back as she wrapped her arms around his neck, "Jacob, brother, I'm tired." She whispered, her eyelids dropping. "Go to sleep then and I'll tell you when we're home." He whispered back as she nodded to sleep.

"Jack come with me, you too Natalie." North nodded at Toothiana to help her up. Toothiana made sure she could walk before she ket Natalie go. "Come on, hurry up." North urged.

"Slow down, would ya? I've been trying to bust in here for years. I want a good look." Jack said, looking around, making North look at him and say, "What now?"

"Whoa don't worry, never got pass the yetis. Oh, hey Phil." Jack said, waving at the Yeti that grunted.

Natalie jogged to keep up with them, as she still wasn't too sure on her feet. She tuned everything out until when North held up her centre. She, herself, took a closer look at the small doll and realised that it looked exactly like she did in the flashback."Um... a sleepy baby with lights in it's eyes?" Jack guessed. Natalie clapped in a 'bravo, you passed grade 1' way. "Correct! She is the guardian of the new day. Without her, it would be dark all the time, no light at all."

She rolled her eyes and said in Norths mind that she was going now. North nodded and bidded her a farewell. She put her staff in front of her and teleported her to the nearest town. She looked at moon and smiled slightly. "Thank you." She muttered, saying thanks for the memories.

---

The golden sand pony pounced around above a childs head, making her smile in her sleep. A dark shadow loomed over her, but when the moonlight came over him, all you could see was the face of Kozmotis Pitchiner. He gave a wicked smile and said as softly as he could, "What an adorable dream. What's more powerful? It's fear." The put his finger is  the pony, making the golden sand turn black.

The girl whimpered as he said to the black horse, "Go tell the others. The time to rise has began." Then he chuckled and slunk back into the darkness. The horse neighed and galloped out the window and gave a loud neigh than came back to the girl. Natalie, being there all the time, walked out to the light. She gently touched the girls forehead, her eyes glowly bright gold as the black horse turned into a pony once again. Natalie's eyes went back to normal as she smiled and slunk back into the dark.