My Ice Rose: Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Natalie froze.

Her feeling that someone was watching her was strong and almost impossible to ignore. Almost. She turned around to face her stalker. With no surprise, it was Kozmotis Pitchiner. He smirked and clapped his hands together and gave a low chuckle as he circled her. "Ah, look at what we have here. Natalie Aduro. What a powerful - fearless - soul you are. That is expected, for you are the Sun Goddess's descendant."

She tensed when he said her last name. "What does it mean again? Born on Christmas day light, if I remember correctly." He stopped right in front of her, looming over her, inches apart. "I'll find your fear. One day." He whispered, gently caressing Natalie's cheek. She made a small gasping sound and jerked back, away from Kozmotis. Her hand flew up to her cheek to find sand. She opened her mouth but nothing came out.

A sudden cold chill ran down both of their backs as Jack Frost swooped in and stood in between them. "Natalie! Are you okay?!" He asked, concern laced in his voice. She nodded, but her gaze stayed locked with Kozmotis. She took a step back - well tried - before her eyes closed and her knees buckled, leaving her falling to the floor. Jack lunged to catch her and did, just in time.

Jack glanced at Kozmotis, before taking off. She whimpered in his arms and shifted a bit, so her head was in his chest. A dark blush crawled onto Jack's cheeks. She gripped his shirt, tightly, nightmares of the past haunting her mind. Jack narrowly dodged a large tree, while constantly glancing at the sleeping girl in his arms. What did Pitch want with Natalie? He thought to himself.

-------

1694

"Natalie. Go outside, have some fun." A women around forty two said to her eighteen year old daughter. The mortal Natalie smiled and ran out and laughed. Snow covered the ground. She laughed and closed her eyes, putting her arms out and twirling in a circle. Suddenly, a large dizzy spell hit her and her head thumped. She groaned and fell to her knees, clutching her head.

Pain and agony erupted in her body and she groaned and fell into the snow rolling over. Natalie opened her eyes to see a shadow loom above her, titling it's head in different ways. His eyes, golden, like her mother's gold locket. His hand lightly touched her forehead and she screamed in pain, giving all her effort to keep her eyes open. "Natalie! Where are you?!"  Her younger sister, Ruby, shouted.

"Sleep, Natalie. I'll come back for you." Then he disappeared. Ruby knelt down next to her and whispered softly, "Are you okay?" Natalie shook her head and gave in and closed her eyes. She felt Ruby cuddle against her and breathe evenly, and she realised that Ruby was asleep. She gave into sleep and wrap her arms around her sister.

"Natalie! Natalie! Wake up! Please, wake up!" Came her sisters strangled cry. Natalie fluttered her blue eyes open and sat up when she saw her sister's tears. "What's wrong?" She asked, concern laced in her voice. "Mother! Brother! Our house! Their all gone!" Ruby sobbed, throwing herself into Natalie's arms. Natalie tried to comfort her. She looked up to see a burnt house and tears pricked at her eyes.

"It's going to be okay. You still have me, right?" She whispered, holding back the tears. She had to be strong from now on. She had to. No excuses.

Natalie jolted up from her disturbing dream and Jack woke up. 'What? Oh, you're awake." He smiled at her and checked her forehead. She jerked back and put a hand on her thumping heart. North burst through the door and looked at Natalie and sighed in relief. "Oh, you're okay. What happened?" Natalie's head snapped up and she got out of bed and  - cautiously - walked to the light switch and turned it off for a few second then turned it back on.

North glared into thin air as he muttered, "Pitch. I knew it. Natalie, you should get some rest." He added on, but she shook her head and did some gestures that said she would have nightmares. North nodded and told Jack to look after her. He walked out, muttering words that couldn't be heared. "So, how did you become a Guardian?" Jack asked. But all Natalie did was stare and shake her head. He sighed, realising that he won't get anything out of her.