~Chapter 12~

"You did what!?"

Both Sonic and Knuckles looked confused at the younger boy.

"We...told him to stay away from you?" The blue hedgehog repeated slowly. Careful to pronounce every word clearly so that the other hedgie could understand it.

Silver gave his friends an indefinable look and stepped out of the house. Finally, he closed the door behind him and sank his head.
Only to then lift it up again in a flash.

"Are you out of your freaking mind!?", he growled and glared at his friends.

"What the hell do you mean by that? We thought you would be happy?", Sonic defended himself and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

"But if you don't appreciate this gesture, then fine! But don't think that I wi-"

"SONIC!"

Silver was sure that all of Emerald Town had just heard his scream, but he didn't care. Not now.

What did this hedgehog think? Did he really think it would be okay, to just walk over to Scourge and tell him to stay away from his victim? He would never stick to it. And Silver thought that at least Knuckles should know that, if he knew him so "well". But he must've been wrong.

"Listen ... I don't know what you're thinking, but Scourge is anything but obedient. What were you thinking!? He won't leave me alone, just because you and Knuckles threatened him. Do you really think that this guy is afraid of you!?", Silver finished his torrent and looked at the Mobians in front of him.

No one said anything. The silence weighed heavily on them, but no one knew how to begin a conversation.

Silver let out an audible breath before turning to the front door.

"Thank you for nothing," he hissed and disappeared into the house. With a loud bang, the door slammed shut.

Nobody stopped him.

The rest of the teenagers looked in shock at the place where their friend was standing before. They still couldn't fully believe what had just happened.

"I...told you guys that wasn't a good idea..." Shadow whispered and turned away. "You should have just let it be. Now you've turned Silver against you."

Sonic, who had just stared at the floor in silence the whole time, looked up at this sentence and spun around.

"What is that supposed to mean!? We just wanted to help him! How should I have known, that we would only make it worse like this!? Tell me!" Growled the blue hedgehog angrily. When he got no answer he looked up.

Shadow had long since disappeared.

That got Sonic's blood boiling. He narrowed his eyes angrily. "You have the nerve to just run away now!? Shadow! Shadow, stop!", He called after his friend, but the older skilfully ignored his calls.

Now the blue hedgehog had enough. He raced down the sidewalk and stopped right at Shadow's feet.

"Stop right there!" He demanded. His green eyes flashed dangerously.

Now it was the older hedgie's turn to narrow his eyes. Growling menacingly, he grabbed the younger hedgehog's hand and pulled him close.

"Listen here: The fact that Silver is so angry now, is entirely your fault. I tried to explain to you and Knuckles from the start that it was a stupid idea. And how did it develop?" The black hedgehog stopped for a few seconds. "Right, it was a stupid idea!"

Then he let go of the younger one and pushed him aside. Without looking at his friends once more, he ran off.

Before he disappeared, however, he turned to his friends and said in a low tone: "It would be better if you just apologize to Silver and admit that it was a stupid idea." Finally he turned the corner and was gone.