Chapter Four

I wake in the hospital, Mom and Tamara at my side. I try to offer a small smile,  but it feels weak, so I let it slip.  I see the tears in Mom's eyes, and I know how bad things are right now. I may as well have doomed all three of us.

" Jace, are you feeling alright?" Tam asks. I manage to nod, despite how weak I feel. She sighs a breath of relief. Then I notice her silver hair, her grey eyes, and the faint fading in and out of her skin. She's a shader.

I smile a bit, looking at my beloved sisters new found beauty. She has always been gorgeous, but now, she's amazing. I never thought we would have this common ground, that we could both possibly be draki, though I kept saying that she didn't give it enough time, to raise her spirits.

" When did this happen?" I ask. Tam strokes my cheek and sighs. Her long, silvery hair falls elegantly into her gorgeous grey eyes.

" When I heard Cassian dragging you out of the house. It was probably the fear that changed me." She replies with a laugh. I smile up at my sister, hoping that her smile never fades. My gaze shifts to Mom, and I see the light returning to her eyes.  I sit up, with help from Tamara.

" Honey, I'm so sorry you were ever in this situation. I never should've let you get hurt the way you did tonight. Can you ever, ever, bring yourself to forgive me?" Mom begs. How in the hell could she ever blame herself for this? I'm the one who chose to sneak out, I'm the one who didn't say anything upon finding out Cassian was here, I'm the one who caused all of this. She did nothing wrong.

" Mom, never say that again. I caused this mess, you had no part in it." I reply. Tears glaze her cheeks as soon as that last word leaves my mouth. She pulls me into a gentle hug and whispers three simple words that have more meaning now than they ever did before. I love you.

I smile and lean closer into my mothers embrace and sigh. I feel the warmth of my mothers love flowing around me. I am safe now. Cassian will not get to me again. 

" I love you more," I reply. She smiles and kisses my head sweetly. Her blond curls bounce in her eyes as she pulls away. I smile, the first real smile I've given them in ages.

" Come on, Tam. We'd better leave your sister to rest. We'll come by again tomorrow morning, honey." Mom says, smiling down at me. I nod and close my eyes gently. For once in my life, I am at peace.