Chapter 17: Finding Remus

this chapter was meant to take place two chapters ago but I got sidetracked lol. I hope you all had a wonderful New Year's Eve/day

The song starts 1 min into the video :)

Cassie's POV:

My eyes opened and I could see that the clock said that it was three-thirty in the morning. 'Looks like I won't be getting much sleep' I thought to myself groggily.

It took a moment for my brain to resume functioning, but once it did there was no stopping it. I sat up with a sigh and slipped on my slippers. Once my eyes got used to the dark, I got up and got dressed for the new day. It was very common for me to get a little amount of sleep, but that didn't mean I enjoyed it. Because one is used to something doesn't mean they don't mind it.

Once I am awoken, it is very rare for me to fall back asleep and stay asleep. 'Might as well do something productive' I decided as I pull up my socks. They are black knee-high socks that are required in the uniform. I don't mind them but they can be rather obnoxious based on how often I have to stop and pull them up.

Instead of pulling them all the way up and having to deal with them later, I decide to roll them up. I slide on my flats before deciding what I am going to with my four hours until breakfast. Tiptoeing out of the dorm, I made my way down to the common room.

The fire has long gone out and Sirius is nowhere in sight.

'Good, he needs his sleep' Sirius has not gotten a ton of sleep in the past week and I know he desperately needs it. I do too, but I can survive off of sugar and adrenaline.

Sugar.

'That's it!' My face lights up at my idea, 'I'll go to the kitchens and see if the elves will teach me to bake.'

I scrambled back up the staircase and searched for the map Dumbledore had given me. Holding the cold parchment in my hands, I made my way out of the portrait hole. I was about to begin following the directions when I was cut off by a surprised gasp.

How had I forgotten the paintings could talk?

"Dear, you do realize it is the middle of the night and you could get in a lot of trouble don't you?" The Fat Lady stood with her hands clasped against her rosy cheeks as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

"I'm sorry M'am, but I couldn't sleep and Dumbledore gave me a map you see," I showed her the map, but she did not seem impressed, "and might I say how lovely your hair looks this evening?" It was a shout in the void, but it was worth a shot if it meant I didn't get in more trouble. Her hair was braided with laurel leaves and grapevines. It was definitely interesting, to say the least.

She giggled in response and went back to her nap. I let out a breath of relief and continued my journey. The still foreign feeling of apparating made me feel queasy, but I brushed it off and made my way to the fruit bowl painting. I tickled the pear and the painting opened just enough for me to squeeze my way in.

The kitchens were quiet and the majority of the lights were off. I made my way to the one light that was on and found a note. The careful script was familiar, but I could not place it.

Dear Miss Cassie,

I had a feeling you would come based on what Albus shared, and seeing as the elves are on break, I saw it fit to leave out a copy of the recipe for Albus's current favorite cookies. The recipe is rather simple to complete and is rather self-explanatory. You may turn on the lights by clapping or work in the dark, whichever you prefer. There is a record player in the corner that was left behind by a student a few years ago. Make sure to clean up your workspace when you are done.