Chapter Nine

In the end, Vada had been proven right. They found Sophia and Carl in the school library. They had set up sleeping bags and an electric camping lantern in the science fiction section.

The kids didn't see them. They were too lost in their comic books, and Vada and Merle were hidden by a row of shelves at the library's entrance. "Fuckin' for real? I's got blue balls, so these two brats can read comic books bout' zombies? My daddy woulda tanned my ass for this."

"Actually, I think those are called graphic novels," Vada responded dryly. "Let's leave them to their fun and head back outside. They only have until their folks get here to enjoy themselves." She wanted to ask about his father and his comment, but she knew that now wasn't the time for serious conversations like that.

"If I don't see ya naked soon, my's balls gonna burst," Merle grumbled as they headed back outside.

"Thanks for that mental image, babe," Vada teased with a giggle.

Merle's reaction was to smack her ass.

***

Life didn't slow down much throughout the week. Vada rarely made it out of work before six, and Merle's towing service was experiencing more than usual business now that the local high school was offering driver's education classes.

Thursday night found the couple falling into bed together at Merle's place, and once again, they were too tired to do much besides lay there.

"Baby, I's was thinkin'," Merle's hand was lazily stroking her bare thigh. She wore nothing besides one of his white wifebeaters and her panties.

"Uh oh," she chuckled tiredly.

"Woman, behave yerself," he lightly tapped her hip. "I's bein' serious. You's got a three day weekend comin' up. I wanna take ya away on a lil trip."

Vada sat up so that she was leaning on one arm. "Seriously? Where do you want to go?"

"I's was thinkin' we could take a drive up ta Memphis. We could have dinner on one of those riverboats on the muddy Mississippi, maybe visit Graceland, and we out whistles down on Beale Street." He reached up and gently stroked her jaw.

Vada smiled. Merle was nothing if not a homebody. His favorite places to be were her house and his place. And as much as she knew he liked her place, Merle was happiest when on his own land. He'd spent twenty years working his ass off for his thirty acres and the small white house that sat on those acres. He was offering this trip to make her happy because he cared about her. "I'd love that, babe."

"All's settled then." Merle pulled her back down to lay in his arms. "I'll pick ya up after work tomorrow and well get on the road. We'll make Memphis before mornin'."