Chapter Ten

True to his word, Merle's pickup truck delivered the couple to Memphis at a little after sic in the morning. They were staying in a weekend rental apartment which was a good thing. The couple was exhausted, and most motels and hotels didn't allow check-in before noon at the earliest.

The apartment was a standard, furnished by IKEA rental. Vada couldn't be bothered to sneer at the 'modern' décor. She was far too tired. Her and Merle couldn't only be bothered to strip down to their underclothes before falling into bed.

"Ya know, baby," Merle was playing the big spoon to her little and spoke into the skin of her neck. "I ain't ever loved a woman this much that I'd wasn't knockin' boots with. Shit, I ain't ever loved a woman this much period."

Vada went completely rigid in his arms before turning so that she was laying on her back, looking up at him. "Do you really mean that?" She held her breath as she waited for his answer.

"Woman, ya know damn well I's don't say shit that I don't mean." He reached down and caressed her cheek with the back of his hand. "I love ya, Vada, baby."

Vada gave him a watery smile. "I love you too, Merle."

Merle leaned down and softly and sweetly kissed her on the lips. "An' just think 'bout it, darlin'. It wasn't too long ago that ye needed a knife beside ya just ta feel safe 'round me."

Vada couldn't help but laugh. She had forgotten all about that and she hadn't even been aware that he knew about her knife being open on the seat beside her the night that they met.

***

That evening, as he had promised, Merle took Vada to dinner on a riverboat on the Mississippi River. While the boat cruised the river, the couple listened to the captain giving the diners an interesting history on the river and, by extension, Memphis, and nearby Arkansas as they enjoyed a meal of fried catfish, hush puppies, and turnip greens. When the desert was served, Vada was shocked to discover a brand-new shinny key sticking out of the whipped cream that topped her peach cobbler.

"Merle, what is this, babe?" Vada looked at her boyfriend in befuddlement.

"I'd say that's a key to my heart but we's both know I ain't that fuckin' girlie." Yeah. That was one thing that Merle could never be accused of being. "I's had a spare key to my place made. Move in with me, baby."

Oh my, wow. Vada had not been expecting this turn of events at all. She had to take a moment to think about it. She was in love with Merle. And not a lot would really change. They hadn't spent a night apart since they had gotten together in the first place. They simply went back and forth between their two residences. The only thing that would really change was that Vada would be saving $600 a month by not paying rent on a house that she was only living in part-time. She made up her mind and smiled at the (for once) anxious Merle. "I'd love to. I guess it's a good thing that I rent month to month."

Merle flashed her a wide, dimpled smile. "I really do love ya, baby."

Vada really didn't doubt that at all.