Epilogue

TWO MONTHS LATER

CHRISTMAS EVE

"Fuck. Shit. Damn it!" Five home pregnancy tests couldn't be wrong. Vada was pregnant.

"That ain't no way ta talk on Jesus' birthday," Merle joked as he entered into their shared bedroom bathroom suite. He sobered up real quick when he saw the tears pooling in her eyes. "Pretty baby, what's wrong?"

Vada handed him the final positive pregnancy test that she had taken. She let the results speak for themselves.

Merle took a deep breath and licked his lips. "Come here, baby girl." He took her hand and led her out of the bathroom and attached bedroom and from there into the living room. He took a seat on the couch and pulled her to sit on his lap. "Why's ya upset 'bout this?" He didn't appear to be fazed in the least by their impending parenthood.

In the multi-colored glow of the Christmas tree lights, Vada looked at him like he was nuts. "Merle, we haven't even been together a full year yet," she pointed out. "We've never discussed us having kids. I don't even know a damn thing about your childhood. All you've ever told me is that your dad was strict, and both of your parents are dead."

Merle ran a hand over his face. "Ma momma was a lazy piece of shit that laid on her ass all day long watchin' her stories and smokin' Virginia Slims. Dumb bitch fell asleep smokin' and burned ta death when I's was nineteen. And ma daddy wasn't strict. He was a mean son of bitch who beat the shot out of me and Daryl. Bastard was a drunk. Died of liver failure fifteen years ago." He spoke quickly like he wanted to get everything out in the open and move on as soon as possible. "My childhood was shit, but that don't mean a damn thing. I ain't ma daddy, and ya ain't my momma." He shook his head. "And I don't care how long it's been. I love ya, Vada, and I's know we'll both love this kid more than ourselves. So, I's gonna ask again. What's the problem?"

Tears were now streaming down Vada's face as she covered her mouth and shook her head. "There isn't one," she mumbled quietly.

Merle still heard her and smiled. "That's what I's thought. Now get that pretty mouth down here and give me some sugar, pretty baby."

Vada happily complied with that request.

***

The next day, Merle presented her with an engagement ring that he'd already planned on giving her before he found out about the baby. Because of that, Vada easily said yes.

They married the following spring in Willow Tree's old Baptist church. On July 4th, they welcome their first and only son, Memphis Josiah Dixon. His sister, Lottie Joan, followed three years later.

FINIS