twelve

"Oh, Ophelia. You've been on my mind girl since the flood."

  It was a quiet and solemn walk back to Dream's house

It was a quiet and solemn walk back to Dream's house. Ophelia had accepted her fate, she knew she had to pay the price so that her friends didn't. When they reached their destination, the masked man locked her in the room she was in last time.

"Can I at least have this rope cut off of me?" She asked as Dream removed all the weapons from her body.

"It's just a precaution in case you try and escape."

"I'm not going to escape, I'm willing to take this punishment. However, I would be more willing if my hands weren't tied together." She said, her patience running thin.

"Ophelia, I'm not stupid. I know you're a strong fighter, I'm not taking the rope off of your wrists." George walked in with a container which Dream proceeded to put her knives, bow, and arrows in. The man with the glasses walked off with all of her weapons. Ophelia laid back on the bed, staring at the ceiling. Dream leaned against the wall, observing her.

"You're not going to surrender, are you?" She asked blandly, already knowing his answer.

"You know I can't, especially not when my chances of winning are so high."

"Your ego was never this high when we were younger. Having all of this power gave you an unnecessarily large ego boost."

"I grew up and matured. You did too."

Ophelia scoffed, "You didn't mature. People who are mature don't start wars because they have a fragile ego." She was being brutally honest and he was starting to feel guilty. He was speechless. The silence in the room was deafening.

"I still care about you, you know." He mumbled, changing the subject. She was silent, she didn't know how to respond to this sudden topic change. As much as she hated to admit it, a very small part of her still cared about him too. At one point in her life he meant everything to her, it's hard to just throw that away.

"I care about you too." She whispered, eyes still glued to the ceiling. She felt him come closer and lay next to her. She didn't close the space between them like she would with Wilbur, she let it stay empty. The two of them stared at the ceiling in complete silence, wrapped up in their thoughts. "When we were teenagers I had a pretty big crush on you." Ophelia admitted. She was tired of the silence and wanted to make conversation.

"Really?" He asked, sparing a glance at her. "I had a huge crush on you too, I wonder why we never did anything about it or told each other."

"Probably because I was too swept up in my own misery. God, I was so selfish. I always made everything about me."

"I didn't mind, I wanted to be there for you anyway I could be." Silence again. "What do you think would have happened if I didn't leave?"

"Well, there are multiple different things that could have happened. One single moment can cause infinite different timelines to be created." She started. "It's possible that if you hadn't left I would never have killed my father, it's also possible that we would've ended up doing something about our feelings for each other. You will drive yourself crazy thinking about the what if's."