Intro

Intro

Sokka stood at the edge of a snowy ledge overlooking the cliffside above the Southern Water Tribe. The crisp air blew through his long dark, brown hair. He felt the chill on his shaved sides and undercut. The warrior's wolf tail fell down his back between his shoulder blades. As the waves crashed against the cliff, he thought over the past five years since the end of the war. The shadow he cast from the high sun was longer than it was in his youth. He thought back on how impressive it was for that band of kids to take on such an immense responsibility to the world. Sokka drew his boomerang and looked it over. He mulled over all the things it had accomplished and some of the things he was too afraid to admit, then angled it towards the sea.

If I put myself out there, will you help me come back, Boomerang?

Just as he positioned his boomerang over the horizon, Sokka saw something flickering over the ocean. A strange and familiar sensation washed over him. A sensation that sparked the trauma of his childhood: the Fire Nation... He paused and took a deep breath. The war had been over for a while, there was no need for such a visceral reaction to a Fire Nation ship approaching his tribe's shores. Sokka smiled to himself and holstered his trusty boomerang before starting down the cliffside to the shore.

For over one hundred years, the thought of people from the Southern Water Tribe gathering excitedly to the shore as a Fire Navy ship waded in their harbor was unfathomable. But, since Avatar Aang vanquished Fire Lord Ozai, this dream could be a reality. The ship docked and dropped anchor. The humble tribe cheered upon the arrival of the formerly protested nation. A dozen or so Fire Navy soldiers exited the ship onto the frozen land and presented a flurry of fiery pageantry before the new Fire Lord made his way off the ship.

Fire Lord Zuko appeared from the mouth of the ship. He looked older, too. Even though his dark black hair was pulled back and adorned with the regalia of his great-grandfather, Avatar Roku, it was apparent it was much longer now than when Sokka had last seen him.  Zuko couldn't be bothered with the pageantry and strolled down the platform, stifling the flames of each soldier with every stride. "Hey! I said this was an informal appearance. I'm just visiting a dear friend." The demonstration was extinguished as Zuko reached the end of his plank. A small, impressionable child who was in awe by the fire show, pouted. Zuko smirked to himself and waved nervously to the large group greeting his arrival. "Well, well, well. If it isn't Loser Lord, Jr." Sokka laughed as he walked past clapping people for Zuko's arrival. The applause faded awkwardly.

Zuko frowned in embarrassment and walked over to Sokka. "The Loser Lord legacy ends with Ozai. I am the Fire Lord now, you Water Tribe Peasant," Zuko growled lowly.

Sokka stood proudly and raised a hand for his boomerang, protective of his land and country. Zuko simultaneously raised his eyebrow and exhaled a breath of fire, waiting for a flash of weakness.

Their eyes were intent on one another for a slip in confidence to take advantage of the moment.

The people around them stood quietly for what felt like an eternity. Then, Sokka winked and Zuko grinned. The two start chuckling and run to each other with a long overdue embrace. The Water Tribe and Fire Nation soldiers all let out a sigh of release, while the two started roughhousing in the snow.

The spectacle of the arrival dissipates and two old friends were able to spend some time together without surveillance. Sokka walked Zuko back to his newly refurbished home.

"So, how's the Fire Nation taking to the new regime? I'm sure you're probably meeting some resistance to your 'softer' approach." said Sokka, taking a seat across from Zuko in the living room. Sokka had some time to himself after the hundred year war was over and decided to spend time on architecture. Sokka designed a miniature ice castle inspired by his sister tribe in the North. Zuko lifted the cup of tea Sokka had poured for him and hid behind it.

"It's...not been easy these past five years. But, I have the support I need to keep the momentum. But, can I be honest with you?"

Sokka leaned over the small table between the two of them, "Of course you can. What's up, Buddy?" Zuko placed his tea cup on its saucer and looked down in his lap before whispering, "..I'm scared."

Sokka blinked as though waiting for more information. Then, registered that formerly 'evil villains' can have feelings, too. Sokka smiled softly and pounded the table, "Of what?! Being TOO good of a Fire Lord? Listen, you have been through both ends of the spectrum of your nation's worldview. You are the only person who is uniquely qualified to speak to all of your nation's concerns. You want honesty? I think you are the best person for the job. If not by birthright, then by experience. You have lived through more than anyone I've ever known. And, who better to lead a nation back to what is just and fair with the world?"

Zuko looked up from his lap and up to meet Sokka's eyes, which were preoccupied by clumsily mixing his own tea based on the recipe Zuko brought from his Uncle Iroh. Sokka's full attention was now gone.

"Do you really mean that?" Zuko asked sheepishly, looking back down to the tea cup he set down on the table.

"Why not?" Sokka regained focus, and looked bashfully up at Zuko. "You're the coolest guy I know."

There was a long pause as the two looked at each other. Then, Sokka burst into laughter. Zuko's face filled red. "Coolest guy? HAHA it's funny! Because you're actually the 'hottest' guy in the world," Sokka continued laughing. Zuko's face flushed harder and his eyes widened. Sokka wiped the tears of laughter from his eye, and looked over to Zuko. Recognizing Zuko's reaction and what he had just said, Sokka quickly shouts "Because you're the Fire Lord! Get it?! Fire is hot. Heh heh?" Sokka laughs, embarrassedly to himself. Zuko modestly looks back over at Sokka and joins in the joke.

A/N: This fic is actually done. Not from this chapter, but I wrote this whole thing already. I just have a full-time job and it's taking me awhile to go back and clean it up. Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy reading this as much I enjoyed writing it.

EDIT: comments welcome! First(ish) fanfic.