Chapter 3

A few days had passed since the Fire Lord's arrival and the Water Tribe warrior reunited his community. A fresh layer of snow coated the surface of the village, harboring a sense of renewed hope. Zuko's vacation was coming to an end and duty called for him to take his leave.

Zuko sat on a large rock placed in front of the haphazardly built, miniature ice castle Sokka called home. The placement of this rock took Sokka the better part of an entire day to shove in front of his home.

Zuko looked down at a small pile of snow that took all night to collect itself. He pressed his pale hand down onto the small pile and leaned into the chilling sensation. Seeing the tips of his fingers starting to turn blue, Zuko focused his bending. The snow slowly started to melt under his pressure. Control it. He thought to himself, steadily trying to regulate the temperature from his hand. The melting snow pooled around his hand and started spilling over the side of the stone.

"Is this your last day in the Southern Water Tribe?" Sokka interrupted when he stepped out of his home and saw Zuko.

A flame appeared quickly over his hand, and Zuko's eyes widened, startled by his own power. He waved his hand and extinguished the fire, then turned to the voice.

"Er, sorry." Sokka raised his hand to rub the back of his neck, feeling like he had interrupted something.

"You're alright, and.... yeah." Zuko's lips tightened, furtively breaking Sokka's gaze as he admitted his departure. Sokka continued to rub the back of his neck awkwardly, saddened by this news. He hadn't felt excitement like this since the last time he was around his old friends. Sokka wasn't necessarily alone. But the feeling of loneliness had been simmering for a while, and was about to breach the surface as he pondered life after Zuko left.

Zuko felt the sting of uncomfortable silence growing and broke the tension, "I have a meeting with some members of the other nations...I-" He cut off, and remembered how tactfully Sokka had been when talking to the Tiger-Seal Bandits. "I... wish I had more time to learn from you."

"From me?!" Sokka was taken aback. He wasn't prepared for the fact that one of the world's most powerful people, bending aside, wanted to learn from him. "What do you mean?"

"You're..." Zuko turned and trailed off inaudibly.

Sokka leaned forward, "..I'm what?"

Zuko stood abruptly and raised his voice contemptuously, "You're a people-person." He gritted his teeth and clenched his fists. He was complementing Sokka too often on this trip, and he couldn't figure out why...

Zuko exhaled to regain his composure. Control it... "If only you could come with me." At the end of his huff, a grin pulled at the corner of his mouth as he recognized the brilliant idea.

Sokka blinked and stared back into the newly calmed amber pools looking at him. The crisp arctic breeze blew onto the back of his neck, and the length of his warrior's wolf tail seemed to beckon him in the direction of Zuko's invitation. The bubbling of loneliness that sought to breach the surface, seemed to settle as he weighed his options. The village, his home, felt like his responsibility. But he was the only one placing that pressure on his shoulders. But that longing...

Sokka reached up behind him to pull out his boomerang... If I put myself out there, what will I find?

Zuko watched the warrior stare down at the weapon. He wasn't sure if Sokka understood the indirect invitation.

Sokka's expression changed quickly, he lifted his face to Zuko's. He laughed softly to himself "...men only, man trip?"

The pink on the tip of Zuko nose from the cold air spread quickly to the top of his cheeks. He cautioned a smirk. Sokka raised his arm, palm out, to Zuko. There was a pause and Sokka laughed. Zuko grinned and took Sokka's forearm into his. "Let's call it another 'life-changing field trip with Zuko.' You all used to like those."

The erratic embers that sat in Zuko's chest...

The bubble that pushed at the surface in Sokka's heart...

With one look, an unspoken moment of gratitude was shared.

The journey was set. Sokka packed and made his rounds to some of the villagers. Bobo and the ex-bandits gathered at the dock by the Fire Navy ship. Bobo stepped forward to meet Sokka and Zuko's approach.

Bobo grimaced hesitantly. Then drop to one knee, "I-..." he started gruffly, hanging his head. "I- I'm sorry, Fire Lord. We're sorry.." The remaining bandits raised clasped hands to their chests. Zuko tensed up. It was always awkward for him when people outside the Fire Nation, and even some from within the kingdom, received him positively. Zuko regained his composure and waved off the apology, "It's no big deal." Bobo stood and thanked him for the forgiveness.

Bobo turned to extend his forearm to Sokka next. "Don't worry." Sokka took the gesture of friendship, immediately noticing how much smaller he was compared to this man. Bobo lowered his voice so just the two of them could hear, "We will take care of this village, and redeem our honor."

The crisp air hit Zuko quickly, and he shivered from a familiar sensation. He shook his head and boarded the ship. Sokka thanked Bobo and chased after the fire bender. The ship set sail, and some of the younger villagers chased it along the shoreline and waved frantically until it cleared the horizon.

"So, how long until we reach the Fire Nation?" Sokka asked, walking up to Zuko, who was standing at the edge of the bow. Zuko motioned slightly to the sounds of Sokka's voice and turned the corner of his mouth up into a grin, "It will be awhile by sea. Sorry, I don't have a sky bison."

Sokka smacked Zuko on the shoulder assuredly, "That's alright, means plenty of time for round two of our sparring match. And hey, don't hold back."

They smiled at each other and raced to the cabin to retrieve their swords.

A/N: Finally! We can get this show on the road! Hahaa!! I'm so excited, thank you for taking this journey with me!