18

Eyes peeling open, it takes him a moment to process where he is. Out of the corner of his eye, he can make out a figure on the other bed, but he can't see who it is. His eyes flicker around the room as he processes everything, realization hitting him as he spots the medicine cabinet. He's in medbay.

He starts to lift himself onto his elbows when the door pushes open. Dino walks in, a plate of food in hand. Woozi thinks the plate is intended for the person on the other bed. While curiosity sparks at him, he pushes it down when Dino acknowledges him with a brief smile.

"You're awake."

"Hello to you as well," he says in response, voice a lot softer than he expected it to come out.

Smiling, Dino makes a gesture to the plate. "I was bringing this for Minghao, but you should eat." At the sound of the captain's name, he can't help but look over to the other bed, food becoming irrelevant despite his hunger.

"What about him?" he queries, managing to slip away the concern as he fires his next question. "Is he hurt?" He couldn't think of another reason why Minghao would be in the medbay other than being hurt as well. Which was concerning on his own because the last thing he was able to recall was him being hoisted onto the ship. So when would he have had time to get hurt?

With a quick, dismissive wave of his hand, he assures him that Minghao is quite alright. Just worried. That word alone catches him by surprise, but he doesn't think too much about it. Gratefully accepting the plate of food, he shifts himself to sit up, digging in after uttering a thank you.

Dino leans against the door, observing Woozi who ultimately pretends not to notice. Eventually, he clears his throat. "Would you mind letting me give you another check-up?" The question sparks a wonder in him; was he sitting oddly? Was he not appearing a particular way and somehow worrying Dino? Or was it just him wanting to do another check up now that he was awake? He couldn't be too sure, though of course he didn't mind either way.

"I do not mind. Though may I ask what it is for?"

"Just your reflexes. See how you're responding and if everything is okay or if you're hurt anywhere I wasn't able to see before," he explains, a shy smile forming. "If that's okay with you. I would like to be certain before letting you leave."

"It is alright, yes."

Dino looks about ready to say something else when a soft groan disrupts their conversation. Turning, Minghao starts to sit up in bed, eyes landing on Woozi when he's lifted his head.

"You're awake," is the first thing he says, eyes scanning Woozi as he speaks. Something akin to a smile curves across his face and while he could be wrong, he thinks he sees a little relief in Minghao's eyes as he leans back and his posture relaxes.

"I—I am," he stammers in response, lowering his gaze.

"And you're okay?" Minghao asks again for confirmation.

"Mostly. I suppose I just injure easily," he responds sheepishly. Dino smiles like he's just won a massive prize while Minghao only nods. He seems glad to hear this for the most part. It lasts for about a few seconds before Minghao sits up. He leans forward, arms crossing and elbows pressing into his knees.

"So, do you want to tell me what they did to you?"

"Is it a requirement?"

"I'd really like to know," Minghao murmurs. "Though if you don't want to—"

"Oh." Woozi shakes his head. He wanted to tell him, more than anything else. If he was being honest, he wanted to tell Minghao more than anybody else. Seeming to understand the situation, he nods.

"They asked me about you and your crew. They believed that I had access to information despite my affirmations that I did not. After being accused of lying, they did to me what they wished to. A hit for every 'lie' and when the interrogation was over, they wished to buy time until midnight."

Minghao looks furious. More furious than Woozi could have imagined. He seemed more than ready to get up and go find those guards. Of course they both knew that wouldn't be happening. He catches Dino staring at Minghao, perhaps to assess the situation and then, with a soft smile, claps his hands together.

"Let me do that check-up." His words are enough to pull Minghao out of his rage, eyes focusing on Woozi as concern reforms itself across his face. The rage is gone.

"Woozi?"

He looks up at Minghao who continues looking at him with that set expression. Eyebrows crinkled in thought and lips pursed, only parting when he released a sigh before speaking.

"Yes?"

"It won't happen again." He knows the certainty in Minghao's voice should be reassuring. It should have him feel just a little more at ease and yet somehow, it didn't do a thing. Which is most likely why he responds the way that he does.

"Okay."

"Woozi," he says again before Woozi can look away.

"Yes?"

"I promise."

"Promises are dangerous." Someone once told him that; at least, he thinks with how automatic and reflexive the response is. He doesn't know who. It's the only thing that pops into his head and rolls off his tongue. He thinks he's even said it before.

"I know." A wry smile crosses his face.

"Do you still wish to make this promise?" He looks Minghao dead in the eye. There's nothing but sincerity in his eyes.

"I do." He pauses. "I still promise."

Woozi stares at him quietly, taking in the words being uttered. He smiles briefly, only looking away when Dino ushers Minghao to wait outside so he could complete the check-up without any distractions. He watches Minghao go and somehow he knows that if he had stayed in here, that would definitely be a distraction.