25

Despite the fact that the paint couldn't really be seen in his bandages, knowing that they messed on it was enough for Woozi to want clean bandages. He was almost complete with his part when Dino said he should change them. They started coming undone and he needed to keep them over his wrists. Both Dino and Vernon assured him it would be okay. Said they would be fine finishing up, as everyone dispersed not too long ago. With that, he has nothing to protest and so he makes his way down to the lower deck.

He's about to round the corner to medbay when he hears the soft murmurs of a conversation. Peaking out, he catches sight of Hoshi and who he presumes to be Joshua. He has to step closer and strain his ears to make out the conversation. (Sure he felt bad for eavesdropping, but the two had been acting fairly suspicious lately and he couldn't just watch it go on without knowing what their conversations were about.)

"You knew from the beginning?" It's Hoshi talking. He's got this look of disbelief across his face and his words are pressed, almost demanding. Demanding that what he said just now be a lie or a joke. Demanding it not be the truth.

Joshua, who looks incredulously at Hoshi, steps closer. "Of course I knew. I knew as soon as I realized he didn't recognize me. Why else do you think I tagged along?"

"Incentives."

When Joshua scoffs, everything inside Woozi tenses up. It's something he doesn't expect, especially from Joshua who seemed like the last person who would do that. "You sound like your captain," he mutters. He turns to face Hoshi again, standing so they're centimetres apart. "Why doesn't he remember anything?"

"Because he needed to be protected," Hoshi hisses.

He can't stand back and listen anymore. Without second guessing, he steps out from behind the wall and approaches them. "Who are you two speaking about?" he demands, fists curling at his sides in anticipation for their answers. The two whip around to face him. The surprise etched into their faces and the slight fear in Hoshi's eyes are enough indication that they've been caught in a conversation that shouldn't have been overheard.

"Woozi—"

"Do you two know who I am?" he queries, cutting Joshua off. They look taken aback, but neither of them say a word. He's about to add on when Hoshi grabs onto their wrists and tugs them into medbay. The room is empty save for them who just entered. The door closes behind them.

Woozi doesn't waste any time. "I need you two to answer me. Do you know who I am?"

"Yes."

"No."

Somehow, he knows Hoshi is lying. The way he looks at Joshua like he's just lost his mind may be a contributing factor and one of the more major giveaways. The other major contributing factor being that he'd overheard their conversation. It was clear that while the two hadn't known each other, somehow they both knew him. The fact that Hoshi was lying despite him being the one who seemed to know something about his memory loss.

Woozi huffs unintentionally. "If you know who I am, why not say anything? Why not tell me?"

"I figured there was a reason you don't remember everything," Joshua admits timidly.

"I am sitting here without a clue as to who I am. You do not understand how frustrating it is to not know yourself and meanwhile, you two have known me this entire time. Supposing there is a reason is no excuse." He turns his attention over to Hoshi without missing a beat. "Who am I?"

There's a pleading look across his face. Hoshi places both hands on Woozi's shoulders and he squeezes gently. "Because it is not safe for you yet, Woozi. When it is safe, I'll gladly tell you."

"Then tell me how. You can surely do that at least."

"How what?" Hoshi looks at him sceptically. Like he didn't think it would be that easy. Well, neither did he. Frankly, he wanted to hang on more, but there was another question plaguing his mind that he thought would be easier for Hoshi to answer.

"How is it that I do not remember anything?" he asks finally.

Hoshi's lips curl slowly across his face. It's the same smile he had when they had their conversation on the different beliefs of magic; the different basis. Watching him, he knows this is most likely going to be the answer and while that's okay, he wishes it wasn't the answer.

"The only way possible, really," he says, a sparkle in his eye. "Magic."

Of course he's wrong because of course that's the answer.