Chapter II

One step at a time

Y/n's pov

I woke up late.I pushed myself up from bed, trying to ignore the skull-breaking headache.I saw that my eyes were still a little red,Ughhhh....I took a shower which seemed to relax me a little.I put on a dress I always wanted to wear.I broke into a little smile looking at myself in the mirror.I went down to eat some breakfast and saw my mom adoring my dress."You look so cute!"she says practically beaming."Wait, isn't that the one Nick sent for Christmas?"she asked and my heart shattered.How could I not remember?!I tried to calm myself and not cry while mom looked like she regretted saying that name."Yep."I said, the tears evident in my eyes.I didn't feel like eating anymore,I walked over to the front door, before I heard knocking.I opened the door to find Jasper.His jaw dropping when he saw my dress, but his expression turned into genuine concern when he saw my misty eyes.I leaned into him and his strong arms encircled me, into the most comforting hug."Shall we..."he trailed off but I knew what his question was and I nodded my head.I tried to compose myself and interlaced my fingers with his and walked down with him to the meadow,where we used to go,most of the time.I didn't even notice that he had been carrying a diary with him,a very old one.We sat down in the middle of the meadow together."I'm gonna read you a poem or quote... I'm not really sure though..."he said and opened the book.
"I think the hardest part of losing someone.. isn't having to say goodbye.. but rather, learning to live without them.. Always trying to fill the void, the emptiness that's left inside your heart when they leave...
Some days our grief appears as,small, manageable ripples...
Others days it completely crashes over us without any warning
These are the days you need to reflect and remember the precious memories you had with them and not feel guilty in doing so...
There is a sacredness in tears...They aren't the mark of weakness but power...They are messengers of overwhelming grief....and unspeakable love.."he pauses for a moment, but I am still absorbed in the meaning of those words."Time only teaches us to conceal our pain..from others and we learn to grieve all by ourselves.."he says and gazes softly into my eyes, pushing a lock of hair behind my ear and whispering,"I will be with you... every step of the way..."he said.His eyes gazed into my soul, like he was understanding every fear and secret about me...even though there's nothing I have kept from him.He leaned in and kissed me as if to take away all my sorrows, but we all know suffering doesn't work that way..I had to fight my inner demons alone."So,is the book yours?"I ask Jasper."Well,it was my mother's.."he pauses."She used to read it to me, when I was a child, before bed.. Every quote followed a wonderful story..She handed it over to me... telling me to read it to my future children..."he says and sighs.But I already knew that troubled him."Well,I really wish I could meet your mother..."I say, trying to make him remember good times of her."She certainly would have loved you..no doubt.."he said holding my hand.We smiled at each other, adoration in our eyes, before we kissed.We pulled away,me trying to catch my breath..Out of nowhere,My stomach grumbled loudly,and my cheeks burned, with embarassment.I remember not eating anything today."You're hungry.Let me take you home and make some pancakes for you.".He said, while standing up and pulling me to stand."Let's go,Mr.Hale"I teased.Being with Jasper felt like being devoid of all my sorrows,my happiness overflowing and my spirits lifted.It was an entirely pleasant experience.I've never even thought someone could make me feel this way.We made it to his house before I even allowed my mind to overthink.He led me into the kitchen and told me to take a seat near the table."Where are they?"I ask, referring to the rest of the Cullens."Esme and Carlisle went hunting, Edward and Alice are out doing God knows what and Emmet and Rosalie are upstairs in their bedroom binging some show together."he said.I got up and reached over to him, trying to observe what he was doing for my very late breakfast.
He's already flipping pancakes as I get to him,and I was impressed."Wow,How did I get so lucky?"my voice came out, despite trying to hide that sentence in my head."What?"he asked with a little smirk, but I know he knew what I meant."I mean you're already flipping pancakes like a professional whereas I only stepped into the kitchen to cook last year.I didn't even know how to handle the stove till I was 15, I'm grateful I got a man who knows how to cook"I said, winking at him."I should be the one to feel lucky for having you in my life, before you,my life was a whole mess",he said as he flipped the pancakes onto a plate, drizzling them with golden honey,which matched his hair colour.I was admiring his features, leaning on the doorway towards their kitchen."What are you looking at?"he asked me,"Admiring.."I said,still smirking at him."Oh, you enjoying the view?"he asked, teasing."Mhmm-Mhmm, you have no idea..."I said, not taking my eyes of him."Trust me,the view from here is pretty damn good.."he said, gazing directly into my eyes.A blush crept into my cheeks and I looked down, overwhelmed by shyness.It wasn't long before I ate the pancakes,they were really delicious."You've got some..."he said gesturing to my lip.I try to wipe it away, but can't seem to get it.He put his thumb across my lower lip and licked it.I was lost in his eyes, shining from the sunlight hitting his face,I hadn't even noticed,his face inches away from me,and lips joining.He licked my lower lip, kissing them gently, before pulling away."There,honey never tasted so good.."he said smirking."Maybe I didn't get it off on purpose..."I said, teasingly.His arms were still around me, from the little gesture of love before.He narrowed his eyes at me,a small smile playing across his face."Oh,you sneaky little minx!"he said before, holding me close and peppering my face with kisses.I was giggling from the swiftness of his kisses.It was little movements like these I longed for....now, that I have those,I could never be much happier than this....