To Gen X

We grew up, getting killed, beaten, insulted, raped, told to die, told we weren't good enough, told that the world is our problem

We grew up, getting killed, beaten, insulted, raped, told to die, told we weren't good enough, told that the world is our problem. It used to be theirs. It used to be their problem, their worry. But now we're used to seeing people die. Now we know that Happily Ever After is bullshit. Now we know that Generation Z is the one to fix the mess at everyone else made. We are too young to know that people are getting hurt and we can't do anything about it. I am in middle school and I know that life isn't easy. You keep telling us you don't know why Gen Z is so depressed. Why we joke around so much. It's because we don't have much hope, so we turn to humor. Watching the world burn is expected. Death is expected. We aren't afraid of death, we welcome it. Because God knows that death is the easiest way out of this hellhole that our ancestors made. I am too fucking young to be scared of school shooters, to be afraid that someone might kill me. I'm not scared to die. I'm scared of leaving my friends. I want to die, but I can't leave them. They need to be cheered up. Maybe I have problems. But my problems can wait. My friends are going through tough times, so I'm staying with them through anything. I'm too young to know how cruel the world is. I'm too young to know that I'll suffer the rest of my life. You think we don't know you think we're worthless? That we "have it good" or "have nothing to be stressed about."
We are watching our lives spiral into horror. Into what could be described as a good movie plot. But it's not a movie. It's reality. You don't have to worry about it much longer, you don't know what we feel like. We'll be living out about 80 years if we haven't been killed by your generation yet. 80 years of wondering when it's all going to get better. 80 years of promising our friends we'll always be there. 80 years of being afraid of what will happen. 80 years of our lives that will be spent protesting and fighting.
We will be the ones to save the planet. Even though you're the ones destroying it.