10

People are laughing as lizzy and Charlotte help me make our way through the crowd. The girls are dragging me through but makes us suddenly stop. I look up to see those mesmerizing brown orbs staring at us, I nod in acknowledgment.

"Mr. Darcy"

"May I have the next dance, Miss Adelaide."

I look at him for a moment but eventually give in.

"You may."

He bows and so do we, he walks off. I look forward in shock and grip their hands tighter. I pull them towards a isolated dark room.

"Did I just agree to dance with Mr Darcy?"

Charlotte and Lizzy look at me, they start to laugh.

"I daresay you will find him very amiable, Adelaide."

"It would be most appreciative if I hadn't sworn to loathe him for all eternity and even after."

They laugh as I lean back and I can't help do the same. They lead me back to the main room as I catch eyes with him. I smile as he seems to be a little relaxed.

—————————————————

I'm standing in front of him, he seems to be focused on us. The music starts lightly but gradually changes to a higher tempo. We start to move forward and around the others.

"I love this dance."

I grab his hands and we move around and then separated.

"Indeed. Most invigorating."

I smirk at his comment, we come back together and I just watch him.

"It is your turn to say something, Mr Darcy. I talked about the dance, now you ought to remark on the size of the room or the number of couples."

I move with another gentleman as I come back to the Mr. Darcy.

"I am perfectly happy to oblige. Please advise me of what you would like most to hear."

"That reply will do for present. Perhaps by and by, I may observe that private balls are much pleasanter than public ones."

I smile at him as he grabs my hand, we move forward. We stops and slightly turn around, we go back to our stance.

"For now we may remain silent."

I can't help but smile as we separated, I like to see how I get to him. His solid composure comes crumbling, even at the slightly awkward encounter.

"Do you talk, as a rule, while dancing?"

He grabs my hands and we change spots, he seems to have a slight smile. I brighten my smile and back up in his old spot.

"No. No, I prefer to be unsociable and taciturn.
Makes it all so much more enjoyable, don't you think?"

We move forward and then back, his composure is going back up. It's fine, at least now I know I can break it.

"Tell me, do you and your sisters very often walk to Meryton?"

"No, I was off to London. My sisters maybe, I would have you ask one of them. I was in London for a few years, It's a great opportunity to meet new people."