Chapter 18: Pakura's Story

The next morning, during breakfast, Tyler spoke up. "Huh? Where's Pakura?" The champions stopped eating and looked around. Sure enough, Pakura was missing from the breakfast table. Ryoma thought about the muffled crying he heard in Pakura's room. "I'll go check on her. When Keigo comes in, tell him I'm attending to a few important matters." He got up, and went to Pakura's door. Surprisingly, it was (very) slightly ajar. He pushed the door wider, and an alcohol stench hits his nose. 'Is Pakura concocting medicine that is mainly alcohol?' he thought, and then his eyes landed on broken glass bottles. It was almost certain to be white liquor, he recognized the printing. He found his best friend, asleep on the table, and next to her were empty white liquor bottles! Ryoma ran over to her and shook her awake. "Pakura? Pakura? Oi, wake up!" Pakura lifted her head up, and wiped her eyes. "Oh? Hey, Ryoma. What's up?"

Ryoma frowned at her. "Don't what's up me. Look around you." Pakura did, and mentally slapped herself on the forehead. It seems like the captain has found out her addiction to alcohol. "I only want to ask this.....what has made you like this?" he whispered the question, as if he was desperate, as if not knowing would kill him. Pakura shook her head. "It's no use telling you, you had enough on your mind already." That's when Ryoma put his foot down. "Fine. Let's arm wrestle. If you win, you won't have to tell. If I win, you will tell me everything." Pakura smiled. "Sure." Obviously, Ryoma won, and smiling, he sat down on a chair across form her and said, "Now, you'll have to tell me everything."

Pakura closed her eyes, and began her story:

Pakura (age 5)

A little girl, around age five, was trying to practice throwing knives. She wanted to prove to her family that she was not just a girl. Her parents were disappointed that she wasn't born a male. She just wanted to prove she was worthy of the Goldstein family. She threw one of the knives and missed the target by several feet. She slumped to the ground with a huff. "Man, those things are heavy." she mumbled.

A voice spoke up from behind her. "It sure is, babe." Pakura turned around, frightened. "Who's there?" she said, her voice shaky. A boy, around a year older than her, but he cleared 4 foot 5 already, stepped out. "Now, what would a cute girl like you be doing in this empty training ground alone?" he smiled, leaning in towards her. Pakura backed to the tree trunk. "I'm Josh Richter. Why don't you go over to my place for some fun? I am sure being alone is boring." Pakura shook her head. "No thanks." Josh pressed closer to her, and whispered in her ear. "Come on, I won't hurt you, promise." Pakura watched in horror as he reached out a hand and stripped off her jacket. He laid a hand on her bare arm, and slid his hand up her arm.

That's when Pakura started to scream.

"Leave her alone." said another voice. Before Josh could turn, a tennis ball flew towards him and hit his face, knocking him out. "You alright?" said the boy, holding out a hand. He had dark brown hair and emerald green eyes. "Thank you." said Pakura, taking his hand. He started to walk away. "Er....may...I know your name?"

"My name?" the boy turned back and smiled. "It's Natsuhi Davenport." Pakura looked at the tennis racquet. So he played tennis, huh. Pakura smiled slightly as he walked away.

Pakura (age 7, when she first met Ryoma)

Pakura hit the tennis ball against the wall repeatedly. The ball kept hitting the same spot. She was determined to meet this boy again, this boy that saved her. She had been reading tennis magazines and watching matches on TV so that she could learn some moves. She wanted, no, needed to meet this boy again, even if she has to learn this sport. She missed the ball and the ball flew, and hit a person on the forehead. Pakura ran towards the boy who had fallen. He seemed to be knocked out.

Pakura sighed, and searched him. She found his wallet with a small address card on it. She half-carried, half dragged him to the said address on the card, struggling to carry her tennis equipment at the same time. She knocked on the door, and a woman with a brown bun answered. 'Yes, can I- Ryoma! What happened?" she asked Pakura, as they carried him to the bedroom. "Sorry, auntie, I accidentally knocked him out with my tennis ball." Pakura said sheepishly.