CHAPTER 44: ALL THE NIGHTMARES CAME TODAY

Lena's body crumpled to the floor with a heavy thud, her dead eyes still staring wide as if even in death she couldn't quite believe what had just happened.

Hell, I didn't know what had just happened and from the stunned reaction of the Greys, nor did they. There was a silence, an awful, deafening silence where time seemed to freeze and then they all screamed in unison – high-pitched, terrifying and full of incandescent fury. High above, the orbs shook and pulsated like living organs and the network of tributaries that ran across their surface burned brighter than ever.

'Move,' shouted Tom, fighting to be heard above the screeching noise of the Greys.

The whole group mobilised, all withdrawing guns and weapons they had concealed under their clothing and firing off shots at any creatures closest to them, ripping apart flesh and spraying blood.

They were all armed. Every single one.

My mind raced with the magnitude of what that meant.

Tom had known they were armed. He'd lied to Lena. Betrayed her.

This whole thing had been a charade. An act.

And yet, I knew that what Lena had said was the truth. I knew what he was, and I knew what I was. So, why all of this? Why the pretence? None of it made any sense. Had he lied to the group about us? Did they know of our connection previous to Tom and Evie?

My head swam with it all, but I had no choice but to cast it all aside as the Greys began to swarm down the walls of the cavernous chamber towards us. I stared wide-eyed at them all with a fast-growing dread. Together with Levi's group, there was a fair number of us, but it was nothing in the face of them.

A Grey scuttled down the wall and launched itself at us and Tom deftly fired off a shot, catching the creature directly in the throat. It tumbled to the floor in a mess of flailing arms and legs, allowing Tom to get close enough to use his knife, which he did with a grunt of effort, plunging the blade into its skull.

'Here,' he said, pulling me close and handing me another pistol and I stared at it in my hand, like he'd just given me a scorpion. What the Hell was he doing? What was this? I was starting to feel like I understood Lena's death mask completely.

'What the...'

Tom stared into my eyes for the briefest of moments. 'I'll explain everything, I will, but first, I have to get you up there.' He pointed upwards to the orbs. 'I need you to disable the Hive's conduit.'

'The what?'

A Grey came screeching through the air, a spider jumping to attack and we both turned at once, firing at it and it hurtled to the floor mid-flight, twisting and thrashing as blood pumped from its chest.

The air was thick with the acrid stench of gunfire and blood, and with the sound of piercing insectoid screams and shouts of the group as they fought to hold their position and keep the Greys at bay.