Prologue

"Phew! It's getting cold out here!" Sonic exclaimed to himself as he walked through the forest, on his way back to his lovely shack on the beach. It seemed that the sky had decided to take a leak and it is storming like heck. Sonic despised getting wet and he would prefer it if he could run back. However, yesterday afternoon he had sprained his ankle pretty bad and now, the closest thing he can get to running is a quick trot. 
Of course it had to happen! Just my luck...

The storm had gotten to a stage where Sonic couldn't even see his hands in front of his face, so he had to sit down. At least the tree he was under shielded as much rain away from him as possible, but that don't mean every single drop. 
This sucks, I never should've came out here... 
He mentally slapped himself. A quick walk could've waited until morning but no. He had to come out here and get soaked. Sonic was beginning to think that the world was completely against him when suddenly, he heard a little rustle in the bushes. 

Without thinking twice, Sonic bolted right up into fighting position. He can't really fight in his condition, but the least he could do was at least intimidate...whatever it is. But after a solid minute of waiting and nothing jumped out, Sonic relaxed himself and took a tiny peek to see what made the sound. 

In the bushes, nested all alone in the shadows of the leaves, was an obsidian black egg so big that, no way in the name of Chaos, was it a chicken egg. 
"Where...where did you come from?!" Sonic wondered out loud, his eyes focused on the egg. He's never seen anything like it before and, son of a gun, he had no idea what to do. Is he suppose to keep it warm? It looks warm enough in there. 
Is it supposed to be that black...? He asked himself, worried about the colour. All the other eggs he'd seen before are white or creamy-white, but pitch black? This was a first. 
Maybe I'm supposed to bring it out? 
Looking at the sky, he saw that the storm had calmed a bit. It should be fine to take it out from inside the bushes, right? 

With a gentle scoop, Sonic brought the egg into his arms and pulled it out from the leaves. The mere sight of it lift him in shock. Black as the shadows that had kept t hidden, as smooth as ice on a cold winter day and its shell radiated a chill every time Sonic trailed a finger down it. It was like holding a chunk of ice. 
I never knew that eggs could be cold... He thought with a chuckle and he held the black egg closer, keeping warm as it tried to cool him. Now I'm glad that I had came out here...otherwise I would've have found it...you... 
He could feel a presence inside the shell. The egg was alive. 

Sonic sat in silence, cradling the egg like it was the most precious thing in the world. And it was, it really was. The storm has passed and the sky had finally cleared, letting the moon shine on through the treetops. Looking back down at the egg, the shock had made Sonic drop it entirely. It had turned a polished silver, not a hint of black remained. 
"I-I'm so sorry!" He exclaimed, tears threatening to fall as he kneeled down next to it. He should've have let such a thing scare him so much that he would let go of this precious thing. So what if it had turned white from black, that shouldn't matter. This egg was alive and he could've killed it. Sonic let his tears flow freely as he watched the egg for any signs that could tell him that it was alright, anything! But it was still, not a sound came from it, not even a single movement. 
I should've been more careful...and now I killed a life that didn't even begin...

Suddenly, the mournful silence was broken by a sharp crack. Sonic looked up and saw a wide crack on the silver shell of the egg. He couldn't believe his eyes...the egg was still alive and it was hatching

Sonic watched, not daring to breathe even. The crack was getting bigger by the second! Was he suppose to help? He really should've went with Amy to help hatch those chicks last month, then he'll know what to do! Should he keep it warm? Should he press on it gently so whatever is inside have more space to move? All these things that he could've known! And all of a sudden, in the blink of an eye, the egg shell shattered into a thousand pieces and what was in its place were two newly hatched dragons.
"That...that was a...dragon egg?!" Sonic gasped, watching the two dragons fumble as they tried to stand, squawking and chirping as if they're calling for someone. He studied them closely.