His Queen

"I do not wish to be forced to marry someone!" Dream had all but begged. Nightmare stood on the outside of the council room. His soul had dropped out of his stomach when the council announced they would find a bride for Dream.

Nightmare had seen the list of brides for Dream. The council had asked for his opinion on the matter. In reality, they didn't want to be on the future king's shit list. And no one knew Dream better than he did.

Honestly, there were few royals Nightmare saw on the list that would make Dream happy. As happy going as his brother was, he had high standards for those he let in his life. Nightmare assumed it was even higher when it came to his love life.

"Prince Dream, you will need someone on your side to rule the kingdom." The head of the council tried to seem sympathetic. Nightmare had to stop from rolling his eyelights. "There has to be someone you are willing to consider marrying."

The silence that followed was damning. A stab shot through his soul, Nightmare gritted his teeth. He pushed himself off the wall and teleported to his room. His chest heaved violently as he fought tears.

Dream, his Dre, would be married off. Nightmare knew it was selfish, but he always hoped the other would never wed. He wanted to hold Dream's attention. He wanted to be the center of it.

Dream was all he had. The only person who cared for him and didn't sneer at the sight of him. Now that there would be someone else, Nightmare would slowly fade into the background. Well, until he was married off.

Nightmare flopped down on his bed. His tears blurred his vision as he gritted his teeth. He knew this day would come and it still killed him inside.

and yet... Nightmare knew Dream was better off with someone else. Better off without Nightmare glued to his side and title. He already damaged it by just sharing existing! In the end, all he could hope for was that the bride to be was someone worthy of Dream.

"Nighty?"

The princess shot up from his bed. Harshly wiping at his cheeks and willing his tears away. He prayed that he didn't look obvious. He straightened out his dress and gave a weak call to the prince. "Come in."

Dream cautiously opened the door. His golden eyelights peeked around the door. A strange fear in his eyelights. "Can we need to talk?"

~

Nightmare didn't know what to make of the dress he wore. It was his potential wedding dress. The bottom of the dress could fit three different people while the top could barely fit his formed ecto. If it wasn't for not needing to breathe, he would think it was an assassination attempt.

"Do you like it, Princess Nightmare?"

Nightmare tilted his head to the side. The sewist stood off to the side. She looked ready to puke all over the place. Her brown eyes searched his face for any signs of displeasure. She was a bunny monster with chocolate brown fur. Her paws roving together nervously as she watched Nightmare.