𝚏𝚒𝚟𝚎, 𝚘𝚗𝚎 | 五, 一

The school cafeteria was packed everyday from the overlapping schedules of both juniors and seniors and this Friday was no exception.

The smell of overwhelming variety of lunches and the loud chatter from different students was slowly driving Dream insane. It was like a cheese grater trying to get the remaining cheese for a nice bowl of spaghetti but was grating the foil instead.

He wouldn't be here in the first place if it wasn't for the root of his problems who was currently sitting just a few tables away from his, laughing with a blonde haired girl. Dream couldn't even stomach looking at them; from shame or from jealousy, he doesn't really know. He was just glad he finished eating his lunch moments ago because he would've surely lost his appetite if he stayed here for much longer.

His fingers finds its way to the strings of his hoodie as he diverted his gaze from George to the entrance of cafeteria, scanning for a mop of brown hair. (Dream probably doesn't need to do any scanning seeing as Eret towers almost everyone in the campus. He could easily find him if he wants to.)

It would be an awkward conversation, guranteed. He barely even talked to the other and now he's asking him for advice about something so personal and private.

"Hey!" A soothing voice called out to him and Dream looked up to see Eret walking towards him with a smile and a brioche bun on one hand.

"Sorry for making you wait," the older apologized sheepishly as they pull out a chair in front of him. "The queue for these was quite long." He motions to the bread in his hand.

Dream waves his hand dismissively, "no, no. It's okay! I should be the one apologizing for making you hang out with me here."

Eret hums, taking a bite of their lunch. "What did you wanted to ask anyway? I was surprised to see you messaging me at four in the morning."

"Did something happened?" Dream chuckles nervously, fingers tugging at the strings of his hoodie.

"Nothing, really-- just, uh," he glances at the brunette from across the room, cheeks heating up in embarassment.

"Just--just a hypothetical question..." the older raised her eyebrow.

"How did.. how did you know that you like, um, boys?" Dream whispers under his breath as he sinks lower on his seat before sitting back up in panic. "Just a hypothetical question!"

"Hypothetical?"

"H-Hypothetical."

Dream squirms in his seat as he avoids Eret's analyzing gaze. It feels like he's eight years old again and sitting at the doctor's office while the doctor tries to find out what's wrong with him.

If he's sick, he couldn't care less.

There's nothing wrong with this, Dream thinks to himself, trying to swallow down degrading thoughts. I'm not sick.

"Well," Eret starts after moments of silence.

"I had a partner a year ago who was trans and he told me he felt more comfortable being a boy. It took me for some time to figure out what that makes of me... but I came to the conclusion that I don't mind being with boys, y'know? I liked him still."

"But being with a partner that you care about and had seen through everything is different. I still had questions within myself: do I really like boys or do I just care for this one in particular? These feelings are still new to me but right now, I know that I wouldn't mind being with anyone."

Dream purses his lips, humming in acknowledgement.

"Although it is different for everyone, this was just my, I guess you could call it an awakening of some sorts," Eret chuckles, taking another bite of his brioche bread.

"Dream, you know that you have my support. We could figure this whole shit together." Eret mutters under his breath, as if he's scared that someone might hear; for the sake of Dream and not him.

His hands started to turn cold as Dream looks up at her wide-eyed, the lump on his throat suddenly becoming unbearable.

"Please don't tell anyone." He rasps out and the response was almost immediate.

Eret smiles, gentle and empathetic, knowing full well how hiding from yourself feels. He had been there before.

"I'm your friend, Dream. You're safe with me."

hello y'all, i'm back!! christmas break is finally here!!

i decided to cut the chapters into two since the next chapters might contain more messages between characters instead of actual narration

also, please be patient with this book because when i said it was slowburn i meant it. this book focuses more on dream and his journey on accepting himself; techno is an important role to dream's so it'll take a while since these type of dynamics are very delicate

again, this is a dreamnoblade book and not dreamnotfound. i just wanted to point that out because it might confuse some other readers especially with dream and george's relationship atm

sorry for the delay but i hope u enjoyed this chapter!!