Chapter 19: Colt

I sat and watched her; the shy smiles she would give when the attention was on her, the way she held the cloth napkin over her mouth when my dad would get a laugh out of her, and the way her eyes would close anytime she took a bite which had her sighing ever so slightly that I doubt anyone would notice if they weren't paying the amount of attention to her as I was. She looked so damn beautiful; it was hard not to stare. But it was more than that. I barely ate, my thoughts too consumed with her, my eyes too focused so as not to miss any tiny detail she was willing to give me about herself.

She was relaxed and comfortable, showing me the parts of her that I had began to unravel in those mountains. My parents were eating it up, completely captivated by her.

It was hard not to be.

Only in moments when Mark would speak or at any mention by my parents of their life together in Chicago, did I notice her posture stiffen. A certain rigidness would take over her demeanor; she became too polite, too poised, almost nervous to say the wrong thing.

I eyed as his hands slid under the table, surely gripping her exposed thigh, maybe even running further up. The thoughts constricted any sanity I had, squeezing themselves around my heart so tightly, I thought I would explode.

I hadn't seen her since she was pulled from my arms only moments after we had shared a kiss that will forever be seared into my memory. I did not realize how badly I had needed to see her, to make sure she was safe and that I hadn't messed up again. It was like air rushed into me when I had stepped into the kitchen and met her gaze. I could breathe again, and if that was the last night I was going to see her, at least I had that last taste of fresh air.

"This was an amazing meal. Thank you again for having us." Grace smiled as she pushed her empty plate away.

"It was a pleasure. I do hope you guys come back to enjoy a free stay. I would love for your next experience to be a much better one. And I would love to see you again." My mom took Grace's hand from across the table and gave it a small squeeze before letting go.

"Well we appreciate your hospitality, but I doubt we will be back. This was more than enough of an experience for me." Mark interjected.

Grace's gaze cut to Mark, but she stayed silent, turning back to my mom.

"Let me help you clean up."

"Oh, don't bother hun. Colt and his father usually clean up after I make a big meal. They are quite the gentlemen." My mom shot me a playful wink, and I shook my head.

"Yeah, only because she threatens to withhold desert if we don't comply." I grinned.

Grace looked toward me and lightly laughed, shaking her head ever so slightly.

"I have a feeling he would clean up for you regardless. He seems quite the mama's boy."

"Oh, that he is dear! You should have known him as a boy. He always followed me around. Even dressed up in my dresses there for a bit."

"Mom!" I inwardly groaned. "Here I was thinking you were going to spare me the embarrassing stories."

"Well son, you did that to yourself the day you decided to get into those high heels." My dad chuckled.

"I was three!"

Grace's laughter intertwining with my family brought forth a long-lost feeling--one trapped in a time where things had made sense.

"Well thank you for the meal, but we should get going. We have an early flight." Mark's voice sliced through the reverie I was in, leaving me to face my reality, one that didn't have Grace in it.