Chapter One

Dick stood on a high up platform. He -but as a five year old version of himself- watched as two people swung on a trapeze. They flew beautifully like they were birds.

They wore smiles on their faces like it was one of the happiest days of their lives. But somehow Dick knew they wouldn't be happy much longer.

As they flew through the air and got ready to catch each other, a loud tearing sound went through the tent. Dick hadn't looked around but knew he was in a circus tent and a crowd was watching the two people. The crowd gasped and then there was another loud tearing sound.

The people that were like birds had pure horror on their faces. They knew what would come next. They fell to the ground fast and five year old Dick yelled out to them. "MAMI, TATI!" His present self then realized they must have been his parents.

They reached the ground and made a terrible cracking sound. They laid there, not moving. Dick climbed down the ladder as fast as he could and ran up to his parents.

Their limbs were bent in directions they weren't supposed to bend, and blood was pooling beneath them. But somehow to Dick that wasn't the worst part.

The worst part, was the look on their faces. They looked terrified. And especially worst of all, their eyes were dull and lifeless. "Mami? Tati?" He asked trying to make them snap out of their daze. But they didn't move. It was like they were in a deep sleep with their eyes open.

He pushed them, still trying to wake them up. He yelled their names but got no response. Dick began to sob, for he felt helpless.

Then, someone grabbed him from behind and started to drag him away from his parents. "No, no, NO!" He squirmed in their grip but they were stronger then him. He begged them to let him go, but they kept dragging him away.

He was dragged out of the tent and was put in the back seat of a police car. "Kid." The dragger said. "Kid." The person repeated. Dick was in a daze and realized they were trying to talk to him. But he didn't care. His parents seemed de- no. They can't be. They were happy and alive just a few minutes ago.

"Hey kid. Come on. Listen to me." The person snapped their fingers in front of Dick's face.

"Huh?" Dick mumbled.

"Ok good. Now you can hear me. Ok, kid, we're gonna be taking you to an orphanage." The person, Dick now realized was a police officer, said to him. The man didn't seem very concerned or sad about Dick's situation. He just looked tired and bored. "Kid, what's your name? We'll need it when we take you to the orphanage."

"Dick." He mumbled. The police man laughed and said under his breath, "Who names their kid Dick?"

Now that made Dick mad. This man just insulted his parents. Who were d- no, no, not that word. They were just... sleeping. Yeah. They'd be ok. They just needed a nap from all their hard work. Dick nodded his head at that thought. The police man just stared at him confused.  What is wrong with this kid? He thought.

"Ok 'Dick'," the police man held back a laugh, "we'll be going now." He moved Dick's legs, which were hanging out the side of the car, and moved him into a normal sitting position. He closed the door with a loud thud. That seemed to bring Dick out of his trance.

"Wait what?" Dick asked confused. His parents were still back there. He couldn't leave them. "Hey! What about my parents?" He asked.

The police man smirked, "You won't be seeing them for a while." Then he added quietly so the kid couldn't hear, "Unless of course Gotham kills you too." He pressed the gas peddle and drove away towards Gothams only orphanage that wasn't full. Which also happened to be the worst one.

•••

Dick sat alone on a couch in the main living room area of the orphanage. He had been their for a couple of days and still couldn't believe he was taken from his parents. They had probably woken up by now and were worried about him.

So, he had been waiting the last few days for them to come get him. They would get him right? He knew they loved him, so the would surely pick him up from the awful place he had been the last couple days.

The orphanage he was at was old and dirty. There were cobwebs everywhere and the walls looked like they were covered in dirt. And the staff was the worst part. They were all jerks with tempers. If Dick didn't do what they said instantly they would smack the back of his head.

Dick just couldn't wait to get out of there and be with his parents again.

A few days later, one of the people in charge came up to him, "Someone's here to pick you up." They said angrily. But that's just how they always talked. Dick's face lit up at the words though. His parent's had finally found him!

"Really?!" He asked excitedly. "Yes, surprisingly someone wants a brat like you." Dick only processed the word 'yes' and ignored everything else they said. They were here! "Come on, let's go."

Dick eagerly followed behind. But when he saw the only person waiting, he was confused. Where were his parents? "Well, this is your new guardian. Have fun twerp." Now I don't have to deal with that little brat. The worker thought relieved.

"Uh... that's not my parents." Dick said quietly. The worker wanted to smack themselves in the face. What an idiot. "Of course not. They're dead!"

"W-what?" Dick asked confused. D- dead? They couldn't be! He figured they were just sleeping! This person had to be lying. "N- no. You're lying!" He shouted.

The orphanage worker sighed and looked at the person who wanted to adopt this brat. "Take him. He's yours. I don't have to deal with him anymore." And with that, they left the room.

Dick watched as the mean worker left. Once they were gone, he slowly turned to look at his new guardian. "Wh- who are you?" He asked nervously. He didn't know this person. And now he had to live with them until he was an adult. The thought just made him sick to his stomach.

"I, Mr. Grayson, am Einstein Albert, your new guardian. You will do as I say without hesitation. Understood?" Einstein Albert asked. That was a strange way to talk, he thought. But Dick just nodded his head with one question on his mind.

Who the heck was this guy?

•••

Dick woke up with a slight gasp. That was a strange dream, he thought to himself. It felt so real and almost seemed like a... memory? Dick just shrugged it off and got out of bed. He put on some clothes for the day and quickly made his bed.

He glanced around his room to make sure it was clean and then headed to the kitchen. When he entered, the smell of pancakes hit him like a wall. But it was a good wall. He never really got to eat pancakes, but because of what day it was, he got something special.

He looked over to the stove and saw his father, making the delicious breakfast. "Good morning. I thought I'd make some pancakes today." Slade said with an small smile.

"Good morning." Dick said with a wide smile. He was glad to have this last happy moment. He went over to the dining room table and sat down, waiting for breakfast to be served.

Once Slade was done cooking, they ate breakfast in a peaceful silence. Then, when they were both basically done eating, Slade spoke up. "Well, are you ready for today?"

"Yep. This'll be a piece of cake and before you know it I'll be back home." Dick said with a smile.

Slade lightly chuckled in reply and thought to himself, I wish it was that simple Dick. I really do.

•••

Hello everyone! I hope that was a fine ending. Maybe even a little cliff hanger. Idk. I hope I'll be able to update quickly! Love y'all, see ya!

Edit: I made some small changes to the end that might not be noticeable, but they matter. (Dick said that Slade was his actual father not just an adoptive father basically.)

Word count: 1373