Chapter 1

Tohru was dressed and excited to get going as she scribbled in her diary about what she had planned today. A basket by her feet, she layed the journal down on her pillow and grabbed the basket as she headed downstairs.

Shigure had promised to take them all out on a picnic today since it was the first day of spring break, saying they all deserved it. Just as she neared the stairs, Tohru froze at the sound of coughing from Kyo's room. She peeked through the door to see Kyo hunched over a hand over his chest as he coughed. Frowning, Tohru pushed the door fully open and walked over.

"Kyo, are you okay?". She asked.

"I'm fine," Kyo responded, sounding tired. Feeling concerned, she walked closer and placed the palm of her hand against his clammy forehead.

"Oh!...You feel a little warm, Kyo! I'll go get the thermometer".

Before he could object, she was already out the door. She could hear him grumble something before collapsing on the bed as she took off. As she ran towards the bathroom, she could hear the faint sound of sneezing coming from Yuki's room, but when Tohru peered inside, she found Yuki seeming fast asleep in bed. He was shivering slightly despite being buried under a pile of blankets, and his face looked somewhat pale in the little light that shone through the darkroom.

"Was he sick too?". Tohru whispered to herself, frowning. She went to check on Shigure, and to her relief, he seemed okay as he slept peacefully in his futon. After a while, she found the thermometer and returned to Kyo's room. "I found it." She said happily as she showed him the thermometer in her hand. He grumbled under his breath as she placed the thermometer in his ear. Once it beeped, she took it out, 100.0. Well, thankfully, it was low, but this meant he was running a fever.

"We'll have to cancel the picnic," Tohru whispered disappointedly.

Kyo frowned, running a hand through his hair. Seeing her upset always seemed to make him want to do anything it took to cheer her up. He hated it because he knew what that meant, but he couldn't bring himself to admit it. It was dangerous for him as the zodiac cat, Kyo, couldn't, no matter how much he wanted to, but he wouldn't allow himself to fall any deeper than he already had.

He shook his head." No!" He responded. "There's no reason to do that! I'm fine", he assured her. "We can still go to your little picnic."

Tohru shook her head with a small smile." I don't want you getting worse besides, I think Yuki might be sick too."

'Great, if it wasn't bad enough, I was sick, now the rat is too.' Kyo thought bitterly.

Unbeknownst to the others, however, Kyo hadn't been feeling well for a few days. Whatever bug he had caught had decided to rear its ugly head at the worst possible moment.

"Yeah." He said.

Tohru smiled before heading to Yuki's room to gently stick the thermometer in his ear to check his temperature, careful not to wake him. When it beeped, her eyes widened at the reading, 103.2?!!. How could it get that bad overnight? He seemed perfectly fine last night. Now that she thought about it, Kyo did seem a little off last night. He looked a little pale and barely touched his dinner, claiming to be tired before packing the rest of his food up and heading to bed.

On the other hand, Yuki wasn't any paler than he usually was and showed no signs of illness. However, the other night, she did recall it had been raining, and Momjii had come over. He had wanted to play tag, but Kyo had said no, saying it was a baby game, which caused Momjii to cry and run off into the rain, which resulted in Kyo and Yuki going off after him.

She remembered sitting there with Shigure, worried when they hadn't returned until all soaked and exhausted two hours later. It was the one night where Shigure had offered to prepare dinner since she was unable to due to being too worried and scared that something might have happened. He had tried his best to reassure her and eat something, but she couldn't bring herself to that night. Shigure had ordered them both to take a shower while he took Momjii home. Both were heading straight to bed right after. Shigure had returned sometime that night and headed to bed as well, warning Tohru not to eat the meat he prepared, saying it had gone bad, so she had prepared herself some ramen and headed to bed also.

She raced out of the door, nearly bumping into Kyo in her mad dash to get a wet cloth and a bowl of cold water to bring the boy's fever down. "What's the hurry?". Kyo asked, confused. "Yuki has a high fever, and I'm trying to bring it down." She responded. 'Shouldn't he be resting? He was sick too'.She wondered. Kyo glanced over her shoulder to take a look himself at the sick grey-haired teen in the room.

He closed his eyes, sighing heavily before speaking up. "Well, try not to get yourself sick too. I know how you start neglecting your own needs for someone else's".

She smiled warmly, waving her hand. "I'll be fine. I'm more concerned for you and Yuki right now. I'll try my best not to get sick too, I promise". She said confidently. Kyo shook his hand and laid a comforting hand on her head for a moment before heading downstairs. She watched him walk down the steps before returning to the task at hand. Once that was done, she raced downstairs to call Hatori. The minute he answered, she frantically replayed this morning's events to the doctor. He frowned over the line rubbing a hand over his tired face before telling her he would be there as soon as he woke up Momjii, who was fast asleep in his office. She nodded to herself before hanging up the phone. "Oh, please get here soon." She said to herself.

She was broken from her train of thoughts at the sound of vomiting. Fearing the worst, she rushed towards the noise, fearing it was Yuki, not knowing how sick he probably was but was surprised to see Shigure hunched over the toilet upstairs. His knuckles gripped the edge of the bowl tightly as his stomach got rid of everything he had eaten last night.

"Are you alright?". She asked, panic clear as day in her voice as she stood awkwardly in the doorway. He didn't respond as he stood up and walked shakily towards the sink to wash his face and rinse his mouth, a towel around his shoulders.

"Shigure?". Tohru tried again.

"Hello Tohru, what can I do for you?". He responded with a smile.

"Are you okay?". She asked, distraught.' Was everyone sick this morning?'.

"Oh, don't worry, Tohru dear. I'm just fine. That meat I made last night was just a little worse than I thought. However, I'm fine".He said, crossing his arms over his chest, his hands tucked inside his kimono.

"Are you sure? I called Hatori since Kyo and Yuki are both sick too. He, should be here soon so he can help you too, I'm sure", she responded. "I think Kyo will be just fine. He's tough". Shigure said. "It's Yuki I'm worried about". Tohru nodded looking down at her feet. She knew how dangerous it was for Yuki to get sick with his condition. "Well, We can only hope he gets here soon so...", his words were cut off as he suddenly gagged, raising a hand over his mouth, the man dashed back into the bathroom, slamming the door closed behind him. Tohru stared at the door, and her face pulled into an expression of pure sympathy.

She stood there unsure of what to do, looking between both Kyo's and Yuki's room and back to the bathroom where Shigure was still throwing up in the toilet.

She played with her fingers before taking a deep breath. She contemplated on whether to check on Kyo or Yuki first when the phone downstairs started ringing.

Heading downstairs quickly so as not to miss who it was calling, she promptly picked up the phone.

"Hello?". "Hey Miss honda, it's Hatori," he answered. "Listen, I don't think I can make it over today after all. Momjii caught a fever as well, it seems, so you'll have to take over. Call me if anything happens".

Over the phone, she could hear a moan from the more petite boy. He muttered something incoherent soon after before Hatori hung up the phone.

"Me? take care of everyone?", she said to herself dropping the phone back down on the charger. Could she do that?. She shook the thought out of her head, no, of course, she could. Now determined, she set out back upstairs.