Chapter 2

6 years have passed since Percy saw Jason and Piper Grace and since then he has become very wealthy. His job as an assassin and being a single father made his life a little more than exciting. To him, Zoe was both a blessing and a curse. She always kept him in the light and out of the dark. She was his light and as long as he had his daughter nothing would take him to the dark side. The reason why she's a curse is that every full moon she won't go to sleep. It's almost as if she gets energy from the full moon! Right now, Percy is picking Zoe up from school.

"Hey dad," Zoe said running up to Percy, "how was your day?"

"It was pretty good," Percy replied with a smile, "well happy Birthday!"

"Am I going to begin my training today?" Zoe asked when she entered the car.

Percy nodded and said, "Yes, but not until tonight ZD."

"Don't call me that Dad," Zoe said, "will Grandma and Grandpa be coming over?"

"Yes."

"What about Aunt Thalia and Uncle Nico?"

"I haven't spoken to them in over 7 years Zoe," Percy replied, "they don't even know that I'm alive."

"What about your father?" Zoe asked, "Does Grandpa Poseidon know that you are still alive?"
"No one from my past, other than Uncle Jason and Aunt Piper, knows that I'm alive Z," Percy told his daughter, "We've been able to hide from my past and it's inhabitants. I want to keep it that way until you're 12, when you're ready to go to Camp."

"You don't want to see her again do you?" Zoe asked her father as they stopped in front of their place.

"You are correct Zoe," Percy replied, "she broke my heart and went off to live in Greece where all of our worst memories are held."

"Do you know why she did what she did?" Zoe asked.

"No I don't," Percy replied, "now out of the car. We need to get ready for your party."
When they entered the house, Percy turned on the lights and Sally, Paul, their 10 year old daughter Andromeda, Jason and Piper as well as their 6 year old son Perseus jumped out from their hiding places and shouted, "Surprise!"

"Happy birthday Zoe," Percy said as he handed her a pen, "take this. It's a powerful weapon. One that helped me many times in the past."

Zoe took the pen and whispered, "Anaklusmos. Riptide, but dad this is yours. I can't take it."

"Yes you can Zoe," Percy told her, "that sword once was your namesake. A greater hero than I. Do you remember her name?"

"Zoe Nightshade," his daughter replied.

"Yes," Percy said, "that sword was her's, then it was mine, now I'm giving it to you."

His family and friends all stared wide eyed at Percy who then said, "Besides, Hestia gave me a little something after the war and I promised that I'd never bring it out until it was time."

Percy then brought out an Imperial Gold pen and uncapped it. From it sprang forth a steel and imperial gold sword that had the name Maelstrom engraved on the hilt.

"This is the sword that I'm keeping," Percy said, "meet Maelstrom or as the Olympians once knew it as... Kronos' Scythe."

"When did you get that?" Jason asked.

"After the Giant war," Percy replied, "Kronos appeared to me in a dream saying that I was worthy of this sword and when I awoke it was on my bed stand."

Percy then recapped his sword and put it in his pocket.

"Riptide is now yours Zoe," Percy said, "use it well."

"I will dad," Zoe replied as a necklace appeared around her neck, "what is this?"

"It looks like a necklace," Piper said, "try pulling on the bow and arrow symbol."

Zoe did and a bow appeared in her hands. The bow was a sea green color with silver highlights on it.

"Whoa," Percy said looking at the bow, "χάντρες. Huntress."

A letter then appeared in Zoe's left hand and it said, "Pull back the string and an arrow will materialize on the bow. From, Apollo."
"Guess we thank Apollo for the bow," Percy said smiling before making a target out of ice, "let's see how you do."

Zoe then pulled back on the bow and an arrow materialized. She then released and got a bull's eye on the first try.

Everyone gaped and Jason asked, "Are you sure she's your kid?"

Everyone laughed while Percy glared at him.

"I swear on Chaos that Zoe Diana Jackson is my daughter Grace," Percy said seriously.

"Geez dad no need to be so serious," Zoe said, "but will anyone tell me how I managed to get a bull's eye on my first try?"

"You might've gotten it from your mom, or you must've been blessed by Apollo when you were born," Percy said, "the only one that makes sense is the latter. The only goddess that I can think of off the top of my head that is able to get a bull's eye with the first shot is Lady Artemis herself, but she's a maiden goddess."

Although Zoe knew it was impossible, she was hoping that Artemis was her mother. From the story of her father's life, Artemis was her favorite goddess. If only she knew...

Timeskip to the next year

Zoe is now 8 years old and also about to be inducted into the Assassin Brotherhood. Percy and Zoe discovered that she was as good with a sword as she was with a bow, much to Percy's enjoyment. She has gotten better with a bow and is now able to hit a wasp from 500 ft away. Her swordsmanship is as good as her father's, she has even beaten him once or twice in the last year. Also, much to Percy's displeasure, Hera has shown up a few times in the last year. According to her, a forbidden demigod was born 8 years ago, and she found the demigod. Percy told her it was impossible and to piss off.

"Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember..."

"Nothing is true," Zoe finished for her father.

"Where other men are blinded by morality or law, remember..."

"Everything is permitted," Zoe finished.

Zoe stepped forward and as her voice trembled with the intensity with which she spoke, said, "We work in the dark to serve the light."

She then flipped her hood on, showing only her mouth as it stretched into a grin, "I am... an Assassin."

"Welcome to the Brotherhood my daughter," Percy said walking up to her, "also I've decided that I can't keep running from my past. After all, the past always catches up sooner or later. I believe it's time for us to return to New York City."

"But why now?" Zoe asked her father.

"Because now you can protect yourself and it'll give you a chance at meeting Aunt Thalia and my father," Percy told her, "and I was thinking that I might be able to find your mother there. What do you say?"

"I say... let's go," Zoe said.

Percy nodded and took out his phone.

"Let me call someone real quick and we'll be on our way," Percy said as Zoe nodded, "hey Apollo? Yeah it's me, Percy Jackson. I need you to get me and Zoe a high rise apartment. Yeah, we're coming home and tell Zeus that if I'm attacked by monsters, I'll come to Olympus and kill him in front of everyone. Thanks, see ya soon."

Percy then hung up and turned to Zoe sayong, "Pack all you need. We're going home."