Chapter 1: Seeing a Movie

At six o'clock in the evening, there was a long queue at the entrance of New Century Cinema.

In twos and threes, couples and office workers alike all lined up at the cinema's doors, chatting about movies while waiting to purchase their tickets.

This cinema was part of the nation's largest chain of movie theaters; there was a number of them in every city. In order to allow the audience a more hands-on and enjoyable experience, the cinema recently released a new way of seeing movies.

To simply put it, they would insert the audience's brain waves into the movie and give them cannon fodder roles. As passersby, they could experience the movie first-hand.

If they displayed an outstanding performance and received a high grade, the cinema would once again release the movie with their performance attached.

Immersing themselves into a film was much more exhilarating than just sitting down and watching it.

This new way of viewing immediately blew up.

Romance movies were the most popular; schoolgirls and boys all wanted to be together with their Gods and Goddesses.

Even if it was a rare piece of bad film, people still wished to go in and experience it. After all, they could backtrack and forcibly reverse the bad plot. Once their grade was high enough, the movie could be shown again, and the box office record would be exceeded.

However, horror movies were the exception-nobody was interested in it.

Currently, the cinema was the place where practically every student and office worker would gather once they were finished with school or work.

Everybody wanted to reverse the plot; everybody wanted to change from cannon fodder to protagonist.

At the entrance of the cinema, Su Min and his roommates huddled together.

It was the first time they were going to experience this new way of "seeing" a film. Only, Su Min's roommates wanted to play in a romance movie while he wanted to play in a horror movie.

That's right, a horror movie.

Knowing what Su Min wanted to do, his two roommates tried to persuade him otherwise. One roommate said, "Su Min, do you really want to experience a horror movie? Once you're in, it might scare you to death. It's better to go to the literary film and date, like us."

The other roommate picked up with, "Exactly, exactly. Look at the theater for the horror movie. Up 'till now, I haven't seen anybody go in. Let's just go play in the Mary Sue film together, okay?"

The two earnestly advised.

Because the fright level wasn't yet determined, nobody had tried to experience a horror movie. If by any chance a problem occurred during a scare, the cinema would have to compensate for the damages.

Even before the advancement of movie watching, there were people who had been frightened to death because of horror films. Now that they could immerse their whole mind into it, wouldn't it be a thousand times more terrifying?

"It's alright," Su Min said, "It's just a horror movie."

His roommates saw that he was set firm on his decision and no longer tried to advise him. They sighed, then parted ways to buy tickets for the romance film.

Romance and horror were two vastly different genres, so they each have their own designated ticket booth.

After Su Min handed over his ID, the cashier gave him the ticket. On it were the words "University Thriller".